A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Climate Control

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate Control

When the system is in Auto does pressing the one of the three panels for air direction take it off Auto, I know the light(s) go off but it is still working?

I like the Auto feature but it always seems to blow in my face, can I just press the floor and face button to disperse some air flow and still enjoy the benefits of Auto?
Old 04-29-2004, 06:25 PM

Default IIRC

The "auto" feature decides where to direct the airflow. The climate control will always change the fan speed and air temp to compensate for the cabin temp and the desired temp.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Some advice....

I used to be a Climate control systems engineer, so here's some advice.

The system is designed to cool the entire vehicle and try to keep a consistent temperature around the driver. The temp setting on the screen is the temp that the CC will try to achieve for the surrounding air temp. Since it's a dual zone system it can try to achive this for driver and passenger.

With this said, to take full benefit of the AUTO feature, you should always leave it in full auto. If you find that the air flow is bothersome, then you should redirect the air vents manually at the vent and not using the CC setting. If you find that the temperature in the car is undesirable, then you should adjust the temp setting. If you still are uncomfortable, then you should override the fan speed, but the last thing you should do is adjust the air direction using the CC settings.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default what makes you say this:

"...the last thing you should do is adjust the air direction using the CC settings."

Is there some way it can damage the car or the CC system/compressor, or something? I do that sometimes, if I want more or less air blowing on my face, if my feet are too cold/hot, etc.

TML I think the answer to your question is, yes it's still in auto if you hit the directional buttons. I think so, anyway. You'll notice if you change the climate inside the car by opening a window, the fan speed will still change accordingly to try & compensate for that temp change.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default because if you change it from what the algorithms in the CC want it to be, it's more difficult for

for the CC to compensate for that change. Even though you change the air flow direction using the CC setting, the CC will still try to achieve the disired air temp. Hot air rises, so if you start blowing out cool air down at your feet, it allows hot air to build up around your head. This is more difficult to compensate for then hot air at your feet, since it normally tends to rise anyway.

There won't be any damage to any system component. I'm speaking from an air flow efficiency standpoint.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ya, just realized I didn't answer your question....

When you are in Full Auto mode with the Auto light on, everything is controlled automatically....Recirc, A/C, Blower speed, and Air flow direction.

If you change one of these settings, you effectively lock down that settting but everything else will still be controlled automatically. Thus you are in a "partial auto" mode but the Auto light will not be lit.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default ok thanks for the explanation.

you forgot to address the fart factor tho!

I rode in a Mazda 626 maybe 7 years ago where the fan vents actually oscillated & blew the air around like a floor-mounted house fan. I thought that was pretty cool, and haven't seen it since in much nicer cars.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default haha, ya I've seen those oscillating vents...I forget which car it was in but it was in the late

90's. I think it might have been a 1999 740i....I'll have to check the specs on that car.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I remember now, it was a Lexus LS430, I think...crazy cool feature. I'd hit it.