A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Clutch Kits: SB Rally vs TZ vs OFE for track use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Kits: SB Rally vs TZ vs OFE for track use?

I'm ordering a kit today- not sure which to get.

$60 between the Rally to the OFE.

I'm planning on using this as a track car, some street. Not much on the engine... yet. Still stock and may go Revo stage 1 when the dust settles. Doubt I'll go past that.

Using the stock flywheel.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-02-2008, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i'd go OFE since it drives like stock and handles good power

i think kevlar likes to glaze in stop/go traffic
Old 05-02-2008, 08:39 AM

Default OFE stage 4 if you plan on doing plenty of track racing.

The stage 4 OFE uses a full disk and the stage 3 for the stock flywheel uses a ridged iron disk. There is also a stage 3+ which is a stage 3 with the clamping force of a stage 4 but it can only be bought thru 2 shops that sell SB clutch setups.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Track car with stage 1 only???
Old 05-03-2008, 09:21 AM
Former Vendor

Default Mike, the stage 4 OFE and satge 3 OFE use the same disc, but the stage 4 uses the ...

SS pressure plate increasing the plate load by about 800 lbs. There is also a stage 4 FE which uses the full faced FEramic disc with the upgraded PP. This is still daily driveable but is more suitable for track applications.

Never heard of a stage 3+, but it sounds like you are describing the Stage 4 OFE.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:31 AM

Default Yes you are correct but only for the LWFW kits.

I was talking "stock flywheel" clutch setups.

As noted on SB web site "* = Ridged dual friction" which is noted for stage 3 OFE but not for the stage 4 OFE for the kits being used with a stock flywheel.

OFE has organic material on one side of the disk while the FE just uses Feramic on both sides of the disc.

Stage 3+ is just what I call a SB setup I get thru Eurocode which uses a modified stage 3 HD while the stage 4 uses a SS pressure plate. I sell the stage 3+ for $75 less then what I sell the stage 4. I also offer that stage 3+ for 2.8 owners running a SC since the stage 3 isn't enough.

I have already sold a few of these setups so I know they work
Old 05-03-2008, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Why not? It's been a stock track car for 2 years. Besides- I don't need the crutch of HP.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:35 AM
Former Vendor

Default Well Mike, I just got off the phone with them to confirm my knowledge...

and I think you may need to get some clarification. There are 3 different options for the higher hp apps, and they are as follows...

<b>Stage 3 OFE</b> - Organic lining on one side, FEramic on the other. This uses the HD (street) pressure plate and can be used with a LWFW or DMFW (sprung or non-sprung center)

<b>Stage 4 OFE</b> - Organic lining on one side, FEramic on the other. This uses the SS (upgraded) pressure plate and can be used with a LWFW or DMFW (sprung or non-sprung center)

<b>Stage 5 FE</b> - FEramic full metal lining on both sides. This uses the HD (street) pressure plate **ONLY** and can be used with a LWFW or DMFW (sprung or non-sprung center).

Now, unless Eurocode does some [other] modifications to these PP's, these are your options. I have installed a few of these and so I know they work
Old 05-06-2008, 02:59 PM

Default Yes that would be correct

for what you get from SB. I dont order directly from SB but my clutch kits do get drop shipped from them. So I guess David has setup something with someone at SB to get the special modified stage 3 that they dont offer to you.

Like I said before, my last modified stage 3 was for a 2.8 since they only offer the normal stage 3 for that car and it wasn't going to be enough for the owner since he has a PES SC on it. So believe me I know I can get it since it was already sent to my customer. :P
Old 05-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Former Vendor

Lol ok man. Special stage 3+ that nobody at SB knows about ; )

Quick Reply: Clutch Kits: SB Rally vs TZ vs OFE for track use?