A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

COIL PACK FAILURE LOG ... Two more this weekend (not yet entered). 58 forum cars w/ 82 coil packs.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The is Ridiculous!!

Well my 2006 A4 Avant just had 2 die back to back 20 mins ago! According to the carfax on my car, it has been into the dealership on 4 separate occasions since new to have ALL the coil packs replaced! This is now the 5th time in 70K miles they have had to been replaced?! Does this recall include the 2.0T coil packs as well?

I went through this with my 2002 1.8T Audi as well...absolute joke and I really think we need to issue a class action lawsuit now. When I spoke to the Audi parts dealer here in town, he told me secretly that they fail like mad and he was really shocked Audi has yet to acknowledge it and repay their loyal customer base regarding Chinese made crap~

I just called to see if they had them in stock and they are now $33 a piece!? A month ago they were $95 so I assume Audi is trying to acknowledge it via asking less for them?! WOW....how about REPLACING them for free you tight wads! /end rant
Old 12-06-2009, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default First Coil Pack Failure for my 58K-mile '03 A4 Avant

The day I dreaded finally came. I had to limp home due to this. Will contact my Audi dealer tomorrow. I did get the advance notice of the recall but told to wait until I get the notice from AoA, or if it fails. Well, the "OR" happened first...
Old 12-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Had one coil pack die on my 2002 A4 1.8T Quattro.

Replaced today and seems to be running fine. Covered under warranty
Old 12-11-2009, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had to replace #2 on my '05 A4 1.8T @ 72000 2 weeks ago. I went ahead and changed all the spark plugs first and there was still a problem then realized it was that coil. I havent got my recall notice as yet either. I would llove to get all replaced before I go out of town.

Has anyone had the dealer replace all coils?
Old 12-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Unalloyedcube
Had the dealer I bought it from (used) replace it under their free purchase warranty. Took it into Audi for a service a week later and they replaced all four coils. Including the fresh one that the dealer had just put in. Done under recall. It was a 2G81? Campaign or something like that. Got a bright yellow sticker under the hood now saying it's been done.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Unalloyedcube
I had to replace #2 on my '05 A4 1.8T @ 72000 2 weeks ago. I went ahead and changed all the spark plugs first and there was still a problem then realized it was that coil. I havent got my recall notice as yet either. I would llove to get all replaced before I go out of town.

On Monday my 2002 A4 3.0 suddenly suffered the dreaded engine missing, Check Engine light flashing failure common to a failed coilpack, cylinder 3 according to my VAG-COM. After having BCAA tow my A4 140km (thankyou, thankyou) to the nearest Audi dealer on Wednesday, they replaced all 6 coils under the recall (28F2/J1), even though my car wasn't due for its 'checkup' until June 2010. HTH
Old 12-26-2009, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello New member here...

I have a 2007 Audi A4 and it appears I have the coil pack failure also.

Hope the coil costs only $33 as someone mentioned. we'll see. Mine failed on Xmas eve! bad timing.

-- brett
Old 01-11-2010, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just received my reimbursement check from Audi for my coil pack replacement. I got reimbursed in full. Total treat.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default coil packs.

for those of you with issues with your CAT overheating and glowing red, disconnect the connector to the fuel injector on the affected cylinder. it will solve the glowing for the time being because the extra fuel isn't being pushed through without being ignited.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default My ignition coil failed today - was very dangerous

It was morning rush hour in stop/go bumper to bumper traffic and I was in the fast land next to the concrete barrier when all of a sudden the car shuddered and stalled. With engine light flashing, no way to merge across 4 lanes of traffic to get to the shoulder I put the flashers on and limped several miles until I could get off the highway. Drove directly to dealer who proclaimed "that sounds horrible - turn it off!" as soon as I pulled in the garage.

I had rec'vd letter in November, asked dealer about it and was told it was "informational" they wouldn't do the repair until I got a second letter stating to bring it in.

Quick Reply: COIL PACK FAILURE LOG ... Two more this weekend (not yet entered). 58 forum cars w/ 82 coil packs.