A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

COIL PACK FAILURE LOG ... Two more this weekend (not yet entered). 58 forum cars w/ 82 coil packs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last night i was driving back to work i had received a missfire on #2 replaced all 4 coil packs as i am 2 hours from a dealer and dont have the time to see them. This is where it gets fun. 1 mile down the road after replacing them my car started to stutter again then smoke started to bellow from the back of my car i managed to get it off the road before it died. When i stoped black smoke started to roll out from under the hood! Oh boy i jumped out and poped the hood to find even more smoke comming from the plastic engine cover plate plus a little fire. I ripped off the plate because i was a bit paniced and didnt have time to get a screw driver. The #2 coil pack and harness were on fire and burning quite well. i ripped the connector off while it was still burning. needless to say that harness is toast. Any advice about replacing the ignition harness should i do all 4 or just the one that smoked? On a side note all of the coil pack failures i have had are from the #2 i suspect that there has been a short in that part of the harness for quite some time and it just wasnt as bad as this.

anyone else had their car almost burn down from this?
Old 04-09-2010, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have 2002 Audi a4 1.8T, my coilpack misfired too. Because of this misfire, It also affected my Evap and oxygen sensor. Took it to my mechanic(Non-Audi) payed around $700 all. Audi sent me a letter regarding this Ignition Coil problems. We then sent all the bills to them. They said that they will not going to give me anything or reimburse anything as they want me to use only their products. My dad called them and they told him the only solution they can give us is to take it to the dealer and get them install new Ignition Coils, I payed for mine for $200 for the set of four and it seems like they want me to throw em' away so I can put theirs.

Its just funny how Audi sounds like they really care as they said on the letter how they care so much to make your car last long(reliable car) and enable you to put more miles to it without any problems. Since I got my car, I had so much problems with it and its ridiculous. I love my Audi and I hate it at the same time -_-
Old 04-09-2010, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fg_carz18
I have 2002 Audi a4 1.8T, my coilpack misfired too. Because of this misfire, It also affected my Evap and oxygen sensor. Took it to my mechanic(Non-Audi) payed around $700 all. Audi sent me a letter regarding this Ignition Coil problems. We then sent all the bills to them. They said that they will not going to give me anything or reimburse anything as they want me to use only their products. My dad called them and they told him the only solution they can give us is to take it to the dealer and get them install new Ignition Coils, I payed for mine for $200 for the set of four and it seems like they want me to throw em' away so I can put theirs.

Its just funny how Audi sounds like they really care as they said on the letter how they care so much to make your car last long(reliable car) and enable you to put more miles to it without any problems. Since I got my car, I had so much problems with it and its ridiculous. I love my Audi and I hate it at the same time -_-

Oh forgot to mention, the first time I got misfire, I brought it to Rusnak Pasadena. I didnt know anything about cars before that's why I took it to the dealer. I research for hours to finally agreed its the Ignition Coil problem. When we picked up my car from the dealer. They billed me $604 saying that they replaced ONE of the Fuel Injections and thats it.

I looked it up online, I can buy a piece of the Fuel Injection for only $150 or less and I saw a DIY for this, and its not even gonna take me the whole day to change it. The dealer kept my car for 4 days without any car service.

Oh and I forgot, the $604 includes the $150(just for the scanning the error part). I just dont get why ask for much just to know the error if the scanner(Vag-Com) doesnt even cost that much...
Old 04-09-2010, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fg_carz18
Oh forgot to mention, the first time I got misfire, I brought it to Rusnak Pasadena. I didnt know anything about cars before that's why I took it to the dealer. I research for hours to finally agreed its the Ignition Coil problem. When we picked up my car from the dealer. They billed me $604 saying that they replaced ONE of the Fuel Injections and thats it.

I looked it up online, I can buy a piece of the Fuel Injection for only $150 or less and I saw a DIY for this, and its not even gonna take me the whole day to change it. The dealer kept my car for 4 days without any car service.

Oh and I forgot, the $604 includes the $150(just for the scanning the error part). I just dont get why ask for much just to know the error if the scanner(Vag-Com) doesnt even cost that much...
I mean Fuel Injector
Old 04-09-2010, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I found something interesting after further investigating my problems with the fire. It seems that the connectors may have been the cause to my earlier coil pack faulures and subsequent fire. It seems that the little pins that slide over the pack terminals were stretched out a little causing it to short. The connectors on 3,4 are normal as if they are brand new. #1 is streched on 2 of the 4 pins inside the connector. I am replacing both #2 connector and #1 connector before i even go any further.

Since this seems to be more likely the root of my coil pack failures since i have never had an issue with the #3 and #4 coil packs and their connectors look like there isnt any wear or damage.

I am not a car mechanic but i am a jet engine mechanic and have seen similar things with connectors shorting out parts it may be worth looking into if you seem to be having the same coil packs going bad and you are too far away from the dealer like my situation.

Will go out and get pictures to further explain what im seeing and talking about
Old 04-09-2010, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

here is a picture of what im talking about
Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 2004 blown coil pack

Blew a coilpack today in a walmart parking lot. Didnt know what happened. Thought it was bad o2 sensor.. so,I drove home mostly downhill in neutral. Got online and all symptoms...bad vibration when driving, no power, egg smell from exhaust. Going to get new pack set tomorrow from stealer.. Hope i didnt screw up anything by driving home a few miles. 2004 A4 3.0 w/ 110k miles. So my packs lasted "normal" time. But i am really nervous i screwed up something by driving home with cat. I guess coil packs is my own christmas gift this year....(sigh)
Old 06-06-2011, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi Coil Pack Recall???

Just had 2 of my coil packs fail and random misfires from other 4 cylinders. Vehicle is 04 A6 Avant w/54K mileage. (was not purchased new) By the time I cover tow bill, diagnosis, and coil replacement (6) and spark plugs (6) will be dropping almost $400 plus car rental. This car has been fastidiously maintained, but no defense again dreaded coil pack failure. My question, when and if did Audi offer replacement of the coils or reimbursement for same? Any info such as campaign #s, TSBs etc. is welcome. My old 99 A6 had 140K on it and never a problem. Sure would love to have some of this expense subsidized by dear old Audi!
Old 06-08-2011, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I believe it is as "simple" as calling Audi USA and getting the form to attach your receipt to.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi Responds

Originally Posted by lyleswk
I believe it is as "simple" as calling Audi USA and getting the form to attach your receipt to.
Thanks for comment. I had sent Audi a "bitch" email regarding situation and much to my surprise and satisfaction they responded the next day with the offer to cover most of the expense associated with the "issue". As I did not use the local dealer for service (I have an specialized independent who is both more responsive and less expensive) I expected a bit of "hassle". None whatsoever. Just a request to visit the local dealer to verify proper coils were installed and to clear campaign records. Very reasonable request and I will comply. Submitted all records to Audi and when I get the check I'll be a continued believer. RAJ

Quick Reply: COIL PACK FAILURE LOG ... Two more this weekend (not yet entered). 58 forum cars w/ 82 coil packs.