A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Coil Pack? No. "Bad" Instrument cluster. Yes!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil Pack? No. "Bad" Instrument cluster. Yes!

As I posted in another thread, the other night I thought I had finally come face to face with the dreaded coil pack issue. But it turns out that wasn't the case.

Instead, my fiance, who was driving the car in the middle of nowhere at the time, simply ran out of gas due to the bad instrument cluster/fuel gauge issue. It merely sounded like a coil pack thing based on the second-hand symptom description that I was given at the time.

From what I've been reading, this is a pretty common problem with a fairly easy solution. And my car had been exhibiting some of the now-recognized tell-tale signs -- such as being "put to bed" with 100-miles-to-0 and "waking up" with with a lot less, and regularly only going up to 3/4 full after filling up the tank.

My only question relates to underlying electrical issues. In the past couple of months I've also had to replace both front turn signal bulbs. Which strikes me as a little odd, since such minimally used parts shouldn't burn out in less than 16k miles. So I'm wondering whether there might be a kink in the electrical system somewhere -- sending out surges perhaps? -- that's straining the various electrical components and causing them to fail. Is that likely? Or even possible?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Rob
Old 02-28-2003, 04:53 AM

Default Both of my front turn signals needed to be replaced ...

after they began failing intermittently. Left onw last May, right one in November. Turns out, the connector that the bulb sits in had started to melt down.

Luckily though, I haven't had any other electrical issues with the car ... other than two coilpacks failing.
Old 03-01-2003, 01:15 AM

Default Due to current recall circumstances...(cont.)

..."I haven't had any other electrical issues ... other than two coilpacks..." actually sounds strangely rational.

I sure hope that the list of "nothing other than _____" doesn't get significantly longer over time...