A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Consumer Reports Article

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2002, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Consumer Reports Article

Have any of you read the March 2002 issue of Consumer Reports? They have a report on the 02 A4. In the "Reliability" paragraph they say "Our car had sporadic electrical problems that left us stranded and led to numerous trips for service." Do any of you have a clue as to what they may be talking about? Have any of you out there with new 02 A4s have any electrical problems? Is Consumer Reports located on some other planet?
Old 02-10-2002, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Consumer Reports Article

I feel sorry for people who generally don't keep up on cars and rely on Consumer Reports for product reports. Their buying guides with reliability information and such that they GATHER from surveys and such are good, but their articles leave a bit to be desired - especially in the way of priorities and such.
I remember complaints from people in the past about how Consumer Reports tests things (not just cars) for a very short period and come to most of their decisions and conclusions about products from that short test - nothing long term.

I guess in this case they figured if their car had problems, then many must, but I haven't heard of people here having electrical problems. Maybe they're referring to faulty turn signal bulbs or something like someone here had?

Anyway, I remember they liked the Acura 3.2TL more than the A4 overall because it had more rear leg room. Well, that depends on your priorities.
Old 02-10-2002, 04:42 PM

I wouldn't trust a pack of geriatrics that test toasters and VCRs
Old 02-10-2002, 04:56 PM

Default I agree...

and in many respects, I thought their review was pathetic! Actually, if you read the article, they like the A4, and have more positive things to say about it than the other 4 cars, although they do not recommend it. They went on to say the A4 ride is rough at lower speeds, but the sport handling is great. Then for another car (forget which, Infiniti?) the handling sucked, but it was a smooth ride. Guess what? This is an engineering trade-off!
It seemed like they just compared a bunch of expensive imports, as if that was criteria enough. Either compare sport sedans to sport sedans or luxury sedans to luxury sedans. What's next? Complaining that the 911 does not have enough cargo space compared to the Expedition which does not handle well?
Old 02-10-2002, 06:35 PM

The CR test car did indeed suffer from electrical gremlins. Just an unlucky one, as they're rare.
Old 02-10-2002, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Consumer Reports Article (long)...

As a newbie to the forum, I do not want to step on any toes but there are problems with Audi
vehicles that do (and should) affect peoples buying decision. I am still buying my Audi but am
hoping like hell I am not sorry. I have seen numerous posts about fuel guage, horn, and turn signal warning systems failing in new vehicles. These are all ELECTRICAL problems. The fuel guage problems in the A6 are legendary. They got the fix wrong TWICE and left people stranded on the side of the road. The fact that this (simple?) system is not right in the A4 even after they have built them for European markets for a year is a disgrace. If I did not want to buy a real sports wagon with AWD I could easily talk myself into another vehicle. If Audi had Japanese reliablity that would really be the ultimate! I own a 300 ZX that would still win the
C&D super car award if it was still in production. Almost zero problems in 11 years of ownership. Can any one say that about Audi or BMW? Most people I know love their Audi's but have had to visit the service dept on occasion. I have owned three Subarus and a Volvo
in the past 10 years. I took the Volvo in for service - once! Other than that it has just
been Oil changes. I am keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed!
Old 02-11-2002, 02:13 AM

Default Japanese reliability.

I've owned Audis for 17 years and I'm on my fourth one now. Put 160K miles on on an '87 5000SQ, and 75K on my 98.5 A42.8QT. Have never had anything but minor problems, and have never been stranded. Had one Accord that was nothing but trouble.
Old 02-11-2002, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

My '96 A4's "main fuse" went and had to be towed to the nearest dealer for service.
Old 02-11-2002, 05:01 AM

Based on your post, tell us why you aren't buying a Volvo All wheel drive or a Subaru Outback 6???
Old 02-11-2002, 05:14 AM

Default Every manufacturer has problems

I used to own a Honda several years ago. Had the damn thing towed 7 times in the first 3 months (it was new) . Every manaufacturer has problems !

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Article