A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Cracked ECU Cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked ECU Cover

With the heavy rain here in LA, I noticed that water was leaking down into the drivers side. So I opened up the ecu box and found out that when I had gotten chipped, the installer didn't bother to undo all the screws, and cracked the cover. So i need some advice from you guys.

My chip was installed a couple months ago, but didn't notice it was cracked till now, because i hadn't been in the rain. I had it done at the only APR dealer in southern california... when i called him up, he tried to play it off as something that's common, and to just take it into the dealer. Has anyone had any luck working with their installers, to get the cover replaced?

Secondly, where can I get a new ECU cover? Is there a place to order it online, or should I just take it in to the dealer?

Thanks
Old 04-14-2003, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default This is getting to be a story that's happenning too often lately...

I would go back to the tuner that installed it and ask for him to replace and repair any damage done to your car and ECU. One guy not too long ago had to change the ECU plus alot of additional maintenance had to be carried out on his car (electrical?) to the tune of $2400.00. Have it checked ASAP.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:30 PM

take it back to hartmann and ask that THEY fix it...
Old 04-14-2003, 04:34 PM

Default Agreed! If the APR Dealer/Tuner was the last one to touch the ECU...

then they are responsible for repair/replacement of it.
I would also contact APR and inform them of the situation.

Isn't this the second time I have read about "water leakage" following a chip upgrade?
Old 04-14-2003, 04:45 PM

Default Take the car back to the installer ASAP...

There is no excuse for that sort of workmanship. Do not accept what they told you - they tried to take a short cut on your install and you just caught them.

Agreed, that back screw is difficult to reach and it does require the removal of the WW arm and plastic grill... but those tasks are very easy to do and don't require that much extra time to perform. These procedures took me an extra ten minutes when I removed my ECU... so any installer should be able to do it in less.

Simply ripping out the back screw is totally unacceptable. They owe you a new box plus anything else. I would also me inclined to name that installer here.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:03 PM

Default Fabryce did the same $hit to me. I wasnt about to let the M.F. touch my car again...

I ordered the cover from the dealer. it was $23.00 and put it on myself.

Its been pouring all day and no leaks :-)

Just get the top lid, someone on this board said you needed a whole new box and that is not the case.

in case you were wondering, Fabrice does not remove the rear bolt from the ECU cover. He breaks the box, thus it leaks through the back of the cover.

Good luck
Old 04-14-2003, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Agreed! If the APR Dealer/Tuner was the last one to touch the ECU...

That's a great idea, i didn't even think of calling apr. Thanks for the support and quick responses
Old 04-14-2003, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Fabryce did the same $hit to me. I wasnt about to let the M.F. touch my car again...

Exactly, if that guy didn't care enough to take out one more screw in the first place, I don't know if I want to get near him again
Old 04-14-2003, 05:32 PM

Default He's just lazy. I have been meaning to contact APR about him, but havent gotten around to it yet...

Now with at least two of us, maybe APR will take some kind of action.

There is no excuse for that kind of shoddy work. I cant believe he told you to take it to the dealer and it was a common problem. Chip friendly or not, the fix will cost you some bucks at the dealer...it sure as hell isnt warranty work.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:20 PM

Default Whoa! I got it done by him as well. I haven't seen any leaks though. Let us know what happens.

Hopefully you'll get it fixed, no problems.

Quick Reply: Cracked ECU Cover