A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

crystallized oil on screen without sludge problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crystallized oil on screen without sludge problems?

just got the news, a clogged oil screen burned my turbo, 3000 miles after last scheduled maintenace oil change at 80,000. I change the oil every 5-7k miles, plus the recommended maintenance. i was told the engine was remarkably clean but that crystallized oil blocked the screen and that it is the ";uck of the draw." I was also told that since there was no sludge in the engine that I would not be covered under the extended oil sludge warranty. Isn't crystallized oil the same as polymerized oil and therefore sludge?
Old 07-31-2006, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Dealer is full of crystalline ****. Have them give me a call.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Re: Dealer is full of crystalline ****. Have them give me a call.

those r my thoughts too. but has anyone ever heard of this problem? crystallized oil on the oil screen but no sludge?
Old 07-31-2006, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Get it in writing and obtain the actual pick-up screen.

They will say something like "we returned it to AoA already". Tell them your lawyer said to "get it back". Problem solved.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:25 AM
jwj
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: crystallized oil on screen without sludge problems?

The crystallized oil is a problem you'll have using conventional motor oil. It is carbon that "crystallizes." With this said, I bet you are not using synthetic oil. Most likely, you would never have had this problem.
From many issues, the oil can cystallize and block pick up screen in oil pump. One of these can be from running your car hard and not letting system cool down before turning off, (this also can cause coking on your bearings).
As far as crystallized oil without sludge- I'm sure it's possible, but if you have had your car serviced as Audi calls for, crystallized oil is what blocked your pick up screen- All which is related to the "sludge issue." Give your dealer on last call then address with AOA.
Oh, how clean is your engine. Did you look and see everything? Did they clean your oil pan prior to showing you?
Old 08-01-2006, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Re: crystallized oil on screen without sludge problems?

thanks much. did not see the engine. but was told that it is one of the cleanest they have seen, with no sludge anywhere. should i have the bearings checked out then. they simply refuse to have it covered under the sludge warranty although crystallization is one of the causes of sludge. does sludge crystallize? also should the audi dealers be using convetional motor oil?
Old 08-01-2006, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Re: Get it in writing and obtain the actual pick-up screen.

Pretty funny, once I asked for their explanation in writing, asked for the oil screen and after calling AOA six times, the dealership is now telling me that the extended engine sludge warranty will cover me. They immediately focused on the 30K and the 40K scheduled maintenance they could access on their records, since I did one 2K early and the other 2K late, thus a diff. of 14K between oil changes. HA! What they did not know is that I had the oil changed at a smaller shop between scheduled maintenance. They are so obvious! I wonder if Audi in Germany handles their customers the same way.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ha, EXACTLY according to script. ;0) Something to consider after you get your car back...

is a treatment of Auto-Rx.com to clear the other areas that have sludge/deposits. Afterwards pick a nice synth oil and stay on a good timetable for changes. My favourite tool is an oil extractor pump. Allows 90% of the oil to be changed by hand-pumping it out throught the dipstick tube. Refill with the same oil and go another 5k on the old filter. Cost is just the price of 4q of oil and the extractor pump is like $30.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default tnx so much, will keep u updated

and thank you for the tip. funny thing is they tried to reject my claim at first by saying that the engine was spotless. then they tried to argue that I did not maintain the vehicle. anyhow, what oil do u recommend? should I also go on a larger filter?
Old 08-01-2006, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Wal*Mart carries a very good oil that works with Auto-Rx...

In their truck oil section, Shell Rotella T Synth 5w-40. It's less expensive than most synths, but as good or better. Let's just say it's good at cleaning and it works well with Auto-Rx because it has no esters that "compete" with the esters in A-RX. I would snag some, but I think there needs to be a concerted effort to fully de-sludgeify your engine. The oil extractor is nearly a must-have since you are not getting under the car for DIY changes. When you go to a shop, it's a PITA and who knows if they actually use the oil they should.

I'd get the ARX asap and add it to the oil that the dealer puts in, run it 2000mi and then get an oil change using the Rotella or a dino oil that's needed to rinse out the sludge, that's how it works. Then you can use whatever oil you want, if you take mostly short trips, under 10mi, you need a top-grade synth oil. I believe dino oil can work in 1.8t, but don't recommend it. For the short 1500-2000 mi rinse interval with ARX, you can save the Rotella if you want and use Havoline dino, either 5w-30 or 10w-40 depending on how hot it is outside. For general use, Mobil 1 is good (0w-30, 0w-40, 5w-30), German Syntec 0w-30 is better (autozone only) and Pennzoil Platinum is also awesome, I prefer it over Mobil 1. So good luck, definately get the oil extractor, imo and I think you know you need ARX since there is sludge that won't get removed by the dealer service.

I got my Pela 6000 from jerrybleach.com, it's good for other services like trans fluid in cars w/ trans dipstick, power steering fluid, etc. Very convenient and effective for 1.8t owners.