A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

the cup holders

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2001, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the cup holders

I haven't really used the cup holder in the dash because I'm afraid that it won't hold up if I just use a regular cup filled with tea or something like that. It would break my heart to see tea spilled all over the beautifully designed interior. Are my concerns legitimate? Do the cup holders stink?
Old 12-26-2001, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: the cup holders

The only thing I have put in the cup holder are cans and beverages with closeable tops. It holds the cans great.....20 oz. bottles tend to want to fall out when going around a turn. I don't think I would put a cup or glass in there that didn't have a top.
Old 12-26-2001, 08:44 AM

Default Re: the cup holders

The in-dash cup holder is just silly. I mean, could they have put it in a worse place in terms of potential spills??? Also, don't get me started about the cup holders in the center console with my 5-speed trans. Argh.

However, these are minor issues, and given the absolute spender of the rest of the car, I'll give Audi a pass! I SIMPLY LUV MY A4!!!!!!!!
Old 12-26-2001, 09:53 AM

Default The armrest cupholder is the best I've seen; it's just in a stupid place. I've never heard anyone

say anything good about the one on the dash. I assume Audi has a 'growth development path' for engineers. When they're young and relatively inexperienced they're given projects like "those cupholders for the Americans". God willing, those engineers responsible for the in-dash cupholder project will never end up on the drivetrain or suspension design teams.

You want to see a great in-dash cupholder, look at the one on the Saab 9-5. Now that's a work of art.
Old 12-26-2001, 09:59 AM
dro

Default I'd only use the dash cup holder for a beverage with a lid...

I bought an Arizona Green Tea this morning and put it there for two seconds as a vision of broken
glass and sticky goo flashed though my head. It fits though, I wouldn't trust it holding over 1lb. What are you gonna do? I still love the car.
Old 12-26-2001, 10:10 AM

Default Beware tall 'tornado' shaped cups. That hinged bracket can collapse and the cup can flip over ...

on to the floor when you accelerate or make a quick turn.
Old 12-26-2001, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I use dash cub holder

everyday with my morning Kwik trip coffe stop. I use medium size cup with lid. Took out the useless arm rest cupholders and use it for storage. Have not spilled a drop yet, but admit.. I am careful going around corners.
Old 12-26-2001, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I was told that Germans think cup holders are stupid and they don't care about them.

Germans think the car is the place to drive 100+ mph. Not a place to eat breakfast, drink coffee, put on make-up, and talk on the car phone.
Old 12-26-2001, 04:47 PM

Default If you want extra room in the console take the cupholder out..

Lift rubber mat from bottom of cup holder, turn the two exposed screws counter clockwise a half turn, lift out.
Old 12-26-2001, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default True, heard that and agree, but it is safer to have one if you are going to drink and drive. Did you

see the 3-4 year old MB commercial where there are a bunch of Asian Engineers looking at a new MB? Obvoiusly, a reverse engineering project. When the articulating cupholder pops out they all declare "we invented cupholder!". Did not last long. Would love to see it again.

Quick Reply: the cup holders