A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Are CVT 1.8 owners posers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: have you ever driven an cvt. I'll tell you what you are missing...

The tranny is just so SMOOTH like BUTTER, quicker to.

I personally think quatrro is overrated but hey my opinion
Old 06-02-2003, 07:14 PM

cvt ownz
Old 06-02-2003, 07:30 PM

Default Nah! Different reasons for different folks.

And it's "losers", not "loosers"
As I said, I'm not out to dis anyone...just wondering why one would buy the CVT.

I have tried the CVT and found it quite quick. Actually felt quicker than my old 99.5 six speed Audi. But in many respects, I am a poser myself. I like a quality vehicle, but it has to look good.
Here in Canada, it's the entry into the Audi family and while it's somewhat affordable, I'm upset at the limited options available. For instance, we only get Denim Blue, Black, Silver and I think Red as the only colour choices.
No Ming Blue, no Dolphin Grey. And perhaps it's just the dealership or again a Canada thing, they won't offer me a sport package.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Audi fans/customers in NA seem to be disadvantaged.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You are wrong !

quattro is the reason that you bought your A4 ? I think you are wrong ! I like everything about my car.

The A4 has the best exterior and interior in its class, best price, and everything is just great.

So, if Audi isn't quattro, you won't buy your car ?
Old 06-02-2003, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default well said! very well said.

i have a front track. we just went through a snowiest winter in Northeast in a decade or so, but i went about my business as usual, w/o quattro advantage..
i am sure quattro is great, but i have been driving in snow/sleet/rain for nearly 20 years, most of the time in rear end drive jallopies w/o perks of ESP and similar luxuries. if can get there in beat up Fiat, i do not need quattro.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yea...in the US..but not for me in Canada....AoCa limits colour choices and packages..

only option for frontraks are like rear side airbag...sunroof...and...hm. leather and armrest..thats pretty much it..
Old 06-02-2003, 08:34 PM

Default Well you didn't tell me you were from canada, yeah they don't give you a sport package....

and the only colour you can't get with cvt is dolphin gray, and who cares about ming blue
Old 06-02-2003, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like you guys got screwed.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Clearly you are not a CVT owner.....

The only option not available w/a CVT is Quattro. However, if you live in Florida (like me), why spend money on Quattro? It's pretty tough to break the front tires loose with a 1.8T FrontTrack, so for me, there's no real benefit to getting Quattro (unless global warming goes haywire)...although I probably would have considered it had I gotten a 3.0.

I test drove a 1.8T Quattro just to see what the tiptronic was like, and it seemed sluggish and underpowered. I love the smooth feel of the CVT...always ready to give the optimum amount of torque.

And, as far a speed and power go, oh smart one, the CVT is just as fast as the manual (beats the hell out of a tiptronic/quattro).

I bought the car for the car, not for looks. You can't go jumping to conclusions like that. Looks? Sure, it is one hot car. The CVT is a perk.

As far as upgrade packages go, you are in Canada. Sorry. You can get every option on the CVT (for '03) as you can with Tiptronic (except Quattro) in the US.

Quick Reply: Are CVT 1.8 owners posers?