A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

CVT Casualty #4

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CVT Casualty #4

If I didn't miss a post I should be the 4th person on here who needs to get his CVT replaced. I posted last night that my gear indications on the dash started flashing. Thats means that the transmission went into fail safe mode(I love how they call it fail safe mode, since it changes to that mode after it has failed). I took it to the dealer first thing this morning and they ran a quick vag check which resulted in error codes they couldnt interpret. I guess they have been talking to Germany and it looks like the tranny will be replaced.The best part is that the car drives absolutely normal. I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Tranny is like 8K or something right?
Old 03-08-2004, 07:47 AM

Default dunno..its warranty repair

I could care less. It only has 5,800 miles on it. I guess I got a bad one from the factory.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:51 AM

Default had mine replaced a couple months ago-long

It was at about 15k miles-the tranny actually locked up and wouldn't move-was lurching-they replaced the tranny. A couple weeks ago my tranny went to fail safe mode and took it in-they said it was the "brain of the tranny" and they replaced that. Is that bullsh** or real? Did the same thing-flashed the heads up and wouldn't move. Turned it off and on and the tranny worked. Happened at a stop light. I am really worried about the tranny now-was going to keep the car for 8-9 years but now leaning tword selling it after the warrenty. Your thoughts
Old 03-08-2004, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I think they are talking about catastrophic fail safe
Old 03-08-2004, 07:58 AM

Default the CVT is supposed to be reliable

Since it was first introduced there have been very few CVTs that had any major trouble. The design is very simple and that is supposed to make it more reliable. But unfortunately there is no 100% reliability. Personally I would never drive a car once it is out of warranty. Thats too risky for my taste. In your case I would either get the extended warranty or trade it in once it expires. I learned my lesson though, this will probably be the only car with automatic I will ever own. Im going back to a nice 6speed manual. That wont be for a few years though.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:59 AM

so make mine the 5th one reported
Old 03-08-2004, 08:05 AM

Default agree

I think this will be my first and last auto. I am worried about the tranny and other things going wrong-just sucks because i put a ton down and wanted this to be my "Drive till it break in 10 years" car. For me it is the 2nd tranny issue and if it breaks out of warranty then it will cost $10k or so to replace-the cvt in theory is reliable but since it is so new and there are HP handling issues i am worried-keep me informed with how your dealer is handling you
Old 03-08-2004, 08:07 AM

Default on a side note-put car in for the tranny problem and they curbed my front rim, put a dent in the ...

hood right at the crease and didn't replace a part-front right plastic fender piece-my dealer sucks-don't know if they are going to try to screw me on the dent-like they didn't do it-oh and it was the 5th time that i brought it in to replace the part and it still wasnt' done-talk about incompitance
Old 03-08-2004, 08:09 AM

Default Will Do

So far my service advisor has been absolutely outstanding. He had the car looked at right away and made the new tranny an emergency replacement item(or something similar), so it should get here rather quickly. Good look with yours!

Quick Reply: CVT Casualty #4