A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

CVT FWD vs. Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CVT FWD vs. Quattro

I presently own a front wheel drive Passat. I am interested in an Audi A4. Can't decide if I really would need the Quattro over the CVT.
Any suggestions? Anyone have experience with the CVT FWD?
Old 03-01-2003, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: CVT FWD vs. Quattro

Well it depends, where you live ? Is there snow ? Do you really need Quattro ?

Are you getting 1.8T or 3.0 ? If you are deciding on a 1.8T CVT or 1.8TQ Tip .. There is a big differance in power between both, the CVT is lighter, faster, better MPG, cheaper, and smoother.

Quattro: if there snow in your area, get it. Also, better resale value.

My advice, drive them both.

Good luck!
Old 03-01-2003, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If you drive in snow or rain, get quattro. If not the CVT is great.
Old 03-01-2003, 07:19 PM

yeah, what he said!
Old 03-01-2003, 09:10 PM

Default I was asked that same question by someone else, here is my reply...

Hi Steve,

Well, you certainly can't go wrong with a stick. My wife is the primary driver of our A4 and she wanted an automatic. We live in Wisconsin and during the Winter she drives our Toyota Tacoma 4x4 to work and that is a stick. That is one reason why I was more than willing to forego Quattro for the CVT.

In general, my only complaint with the car is a slight hesitation if you punch it off the line. My wife does not punch it off the line and she doesn't even notice any hesitation. I like putting my foot into it. Actually, I am learning to get around it by feathering the gas slightly just before the traffic light changes. Actually, this is a pretty minor complaint and I don't think the problem is CVT related, but turbo related.

Regarding the CVT, I could not be happier. If you elect to drive in the manual mode, you have all the benefits of a stick shift, except for revving the engine and dumping the clutch off the line. Once you are rolling even 2 mph it is exactly like a stick shift, only faster. The shifting is lightning quick with immediate response. I have never driven a tiptronic, but owners complain of shift delay in manual mode. That does not occur with CVT. Upshifting and downshifting is a simple flick of the wrist. The computer prevents you from making a mistake. For example, you cannot accidentally downshift from 5th gear to 1st. The computer only lets you in the proper gear for your engine RPM's. Also, if you over tax the engine by delaying an up shift, I am told the computer will up shift for you so you do not do engine damage. The car is brand new (under 1000 miles) I have not pushed it that hard.

The other benefit is the car is light compared to a 1.8T Quattro, tiptronic and that enhances performance. The CVT has not heavy torque converter to lug around. My guess is CVT is the future of automatic transmissions. I think it will become the standard for automatic transmissions. It is more responsive, simplistic in design when compared to traditional fluid based transmissions and lighter. Because it is direct drive the gas mileage is better, just like your stick shift.

I am a big fan of stick shift. But if you cannot have it, CVT is almost at good. The car is incredibly fun to drive, much more so than a tiptronic would be.

I have a 4 year lease. My hope is 4 years from now to get into the re-engineered 2005 generation of A6 2.7T with Quattro and CVT. It should be offered by then.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:50 AM

Wow, CVT sounds good. Too bad no Quattro CVT.