A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

CVT gets no respect, that's all i gotta say

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you saying you think you can activate drop launch capability with a vag?
Old 02-20-2004, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There are those that believe that the lauch control is most likely de-programmed for North America..

And that possibly with a VAG-COM can be re-programmed like other systems in our cars. I'm sure sooner or later someone will try it. the other thing that bugs me about the DSG in the fact that even in the sports mode the gear box will UPSHIFT by itself when you reach the red line (like the tiptronic), it won't allow you to stay in the gear you are in and bounce it off the rev limiter like a manual gear box and that sucks big time, especially on a race track or in an autocross course.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I didn't know hitting the fuel cut off was a good thing.

when is the rev limiter used strategically (sp?) in tracking?
Old 02-20-2004, 12:59 PM

Learn to drive stick.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't know if it is bad or not to hit the cut off for long periods but for short ones it is not...

There are certain times in autocross where shifting to a higher gear will loose you more time then if you stayed in the same gear but let the RPM go to the red line for a while. Shifting takes time (although the DSG does it in a split second)and you may not be in the sweet spot for Hp and the torque curve. What I guess I am trying to say in certain conditions your braking point is a bit further than ideal for a gear and not far enough to up shift into the other one to continue to accelerate, so you leave it in that gear and red line it to your braking point, no upshift and no downshift. Under the same condition the DSG car will upshift into the next gear on its own and then you will have to downshift it, thus upsetting the balance of the car before your braking zone and because it thinks you want to continue to accelerate because it upshifted by itself it now pre-engages the next gear UP, so now the box is even more confused because your next command will be to downshift because you want to brake. Let say you are in 2nd gear and you go to the red line, it upshift to 3rd and pre-engages 4th, but in reality at the point you want to brake and you wished it stayed in 2nd you start to apply the brakes to slow down the car to turn, because it upshifted to 3 rd at the wrong time and 4th is selected you now have to downshift two times and unbalance the car in the process. I don't know if you get what I mean, it is hard to write down what I'm thinking.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hey, welcome back. Don't be a stranger.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yikes! I get what you mean. I wondered how it handled preselecting the wrong anticipated gear.

And the answer is "poorly." I had no idea you'd have to go so far as to double clutch (?) to get out of it rather than it just taking extra time (not a good thing in that situation anyway) to shift to the gear actually selected. But wouldn't this just be a software change to correct?
Old 02-20-2004, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I get what you are saying perfectly. How long does it take DSG to downshift?

I've never thought of that since it's main focus was how fast if selects the next gear up.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It is very fast, I believe faster than the SMG and F1 and from all accounts much smoother....

But the senario I describe to you can apparently be duplicated in normal street driving. Iwas supposed to test drive a TT a couple of weeks ago but plans changed and I have to reschedule the test drive. Someone I know who test drove it said that if you upshift and then decide to downshift rapidely after the upshift the box will still do it but with a lag. In other words not as fast as if you would be in a downshift mode.