A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

dealer found my chip, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealer found my chip, what to do?

Went in for service and to replace my gas pedal and the service manager calls me to inform me that I have no warranty. They then proceeded to take out my GIAC ECU and install a new factory ECU( cost= $960 ). Now they want to charge me for $550 for labor ($450 of that is for diagnostics) for a period of less then 5 hours. I know RasheeD had a similar problem and had his chip updgraded. I just want to know if the dealer was allowed to remove my ECU without my consent. The service manager said that he didn't have any papers proving that the ECU was the problem, just that they couldn't reproduce the problem. But neither could I when I had my GIAC chip in. Its either a 1,510$ for a new ECU + a loss of 500$ for my GIAC chip or 550$ for labor + old ECU back in. I am wondering if PES Tuning or GIAC will give my money back if I return the Chipped ECU. What a ****ty day, especially after my car has been at the dealer for 10 days and only had work done to it today. Gotta love audi.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default WTF? Thats the biggest bunch of BS!

They have no right to take out your chip without your consent! Screw that. Take your chipped ECU back, and get a new ECU unit from somewhere else (make sure to clone it due to the Immobilizer) and go to a different dealer. Swap it back when you get your problem resolved.

And tell your dealer that you aren't going to pay for any of that useless labor! It definitely doesnt take 5 hours to diagnose and take your ECU out. (takes me 5 mins max if that).

BTW, what's your initial problem? What caused them to check the ECU?

That's why GIAC needs to get their Flipswitch setup out in cases like this one. And while, they are at it, they need to get that X Chip out too!

*Brownie points for APR EMCS on cases like this!
Old 02-21-2003, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default what dealer..please!!!!!!!!!!!!

email me if you dont want to post it.
thanks.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:16 PM

Is your car leased?
Old 02-21-2003, 01:17 PM

no, straight cash
Old 02-21-2003, 01:20 PM

Default Then I agree with HKsupastar...

They shouldn't be touching it. It sounds like they're in the wrong. If the SM is unreasonable, go to the GM.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Here is a link I got from Neuspeed regarding warranties and aftermarket parts....

I hope this helps.... It basically states that they cannot void your warranty. They can only refuse the warranty service if the aftermarket part caused the problem. And they definitely cannot take your property without your permission!<ul><li><a href="http://www.sema.org/content/?id=8124">http://www.sema.org/content/?id=8124</a></li></ul>
Old 02-21-2003, 01:23 PM
LAK

Default F-them. A chip doesn't void a warranty unless it somehow caused the problem you experienced.

Remind them that under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, they can be held liable for your attorney expenses.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:26 PM

Default you paid for the old ECU and chip, they are yours regardless...take the chip and ECU back

put them in your car again. If they want to be ***** and void your warranty there is no point to take chipped ECU out unless it was causing issues.

And if the chip is not proved to have caused the problem then they can't void ****. Get a copy of the Magnusson Moss Act asap. Refuse the charges, refuse the work. Get a lawyer.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:27 PM

Default WTF? is right, no way they can do that.

They CANNOT void your whole warranty becuase of and ECU mod. Even if the chip caused the problems they have to be able to prove that the mod was the cause of the problem.

Do a google search on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act to find out the legal issues about this.

Total B.S.!!

What dealer anyway?

Quick Reply: dealer found my chip, what to do?