A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Diagnosing faulty ABS module with VAG COM?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 08:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnosing faulty ABS module with VAG COM?

I was searching on my local classifieds and found someone locally with a vag com that could do stuff like coding later model features, and scanning for codes.

The speedo, ABS, and traction control work very occasionally in my car and from the research I've done the culprit is most likely the ABS module going bad. Before pulling it out and trying to get it repaired, would there be a way of finding out if it is actually the problem with the diagnostic tool?
A local garage's code reader just said the code pointed to the front drivers side wheel speed sensor but i have no way of checking if this is indeed the issue.

Also on the point of coding features, other than the one touch unlock, what would be handy things to code in? My car dosent make any beeps for the seatbelt or door warnings so it might have already been coded by the previous owner.
For context it is a 2003 A4 1.8t Quattro
Old 02-07-2018, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure about your?, but go to module master if you need a new one.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Diztek
not sure about your?, but go to module master if you need a new one.
Any specific codes to look for when having the car hooked up the the vag com? will it just say that the abs module has an issue or will it say the same thing the garage saw which was a code for the front drivers side wheel speed sensor.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 296 Likes on 239 Posts

I don't believe VCDS is going to give you much more different info.

Why not remove the front drivers side wheel and check to see if there's a sensor problem or not. On my long gone B5 I got intermittent ABS warning lights and when I got my mechanic to check things out, he found that the teeth on the wheel hub had broken; it was an east coast car so I guess corrosion took it's toll. He found a used replacement and all was good after that.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A4Audi4Fun
I don't believe VCDS is going to give you much more different info.

Why not remove the front drivers side wheel and check to see if there's a sensor problem or not. On my long gone B5 I got intermittent ABS warning lights and when I got my mechanic to check things out, he found that the teeth on the wheel hub had broken; it was an east coast car so I guess corrosion took it's toll. He found a used replacement and all was good after that.
That was one of the first things I tried, taking the sensor off that is. I figured if it was actually the sensor, then swapping the front ones from side to side would move the code from the drivers to passengers side. The issue is the tiny allen head that hold the sensor on is in pretty bad shape and is basically stripped.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LordKarnage17
That was one of the first things I tried, taking the sensor off that is. I figured if it was actually the sensor, then swapping the front ones from side to side would move the code from the drivers to passengers side. The issue is the tiny allen head that hold the sensor on is in pretty bad shape and is basically stripped.
This is common problem with the corrosion, try heat or a chisel to tap it around , otherwise just know it off with the chisel. You'll then probably have to destroy the sensor to remove it. However the sensors are cheap so but one ready to replace.

Last edited by A1EK; 02-23-2018 at 03:34 AM.