A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Did I get a lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I get a lemon?

I bought my 2004 audi a4 1.8T quatro in October 2010 and have already run into a ton of issues and am wondering if I was unlucky and got one of the lemons? Before I bought it, the dealer paid over 2k in repairs after the 55k inspection was done. I've also already had to replace the Cat, Timing belt, water pump, coolant flange and it's only got 71k on it. I knew going into this purchase that these beauties are expensive when work needs to be done, but didn't anticipate this much work would be needed within 2 years of owning the vehicle. I hate to ask this, but am wondering if I need to trade it in before I throw anymore money into it?
Any input would be appreciated.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Broncboarder
I bought my 2004 audi a4 1.8T quatro in October 2010 and have already run into a ton of issues and am wondering if I was unlucky and got one of the lemons? Before I bought it, the dealer paid over 2k in repairs after the 55k inspection was done. I've also already had to replace the Cat, Timing belt, water pump, coolant flange and it's only got 71k on it. I knew going into this purchase that these beauties are expensive when work needs to be done, but didn't anticipate this much work would be needed within 2 years of owning the vehicle. I hate to ask this, but am wondering if I need to trade it in before I throw anymore money into it?
Any input would be appreciated.
The timing belt is just a required maintenance. If that's a lot then I would trade it in. I can't say for sure the car will not break down. Each car is different. Of the only replacement you have done is the cat consider your self lucky. Btw don't cheap out on parts or fluids. Synthetic oil and premium only. Nothing cheap or it will be a world of breakdowns for you. Cheap parts are just asking to be replaced again. In my owner ship of a6 I've replaced the cam adjuster seals, cam plugs control arms brake rotors, transmission prop shaft seal valve cover gaskets many many times a hazard switch purge valve and now I'm looking at a secondary air pump and cats.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Mine is got about the same mileage as yours and I had to do all the repair you listed. Bear in mind that my A4 is being babied so all of that is pretty normal.

These aren't VW Beetles but I guess you knew that. Don't worry about it though. I had a bunch of repair in the last year but in the 4 years prior, nothing other than regular maintenance. And it's been spotless in since last year (knock-knock).

And as rohit13 says, use only approved full synthetic oil (that's not any synthetic and certainly not blended synthetics) and premium gas. The 10K oil change interval is idiotic. You shouldn't go more than 5K without a change.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for your input fellas! After getting my car back, I spoke with the mechanic and he said a typical audi owner will spend around $2500 per year on maintenance and repairs. Hearing you guys makes me feel a lot better about how much i've spent and the types of repairs i've had to do. I'm still wondering if the mechanic I went to charged a lot more for labor than most german mechanics (outside of dealers)? They charge $250 per hour for labor, does that sounds normal?
Thanks again,
Steve
Old 03-30-2012, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 297 Likes on 240 Posts

Where are you located? $250/hr for labour is VERY high, especially if they are an independent.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

$250 is retarded. $80-90 is normal over here. The dealer charges that much. If you shop around, you can get $60-70. I don't think I've heard anyone charge $250/hr. Where are you? Hong Kong or Monaco?

All my repair last year was $1500. $0 so far this year. You're not going to be paying $2500/year for repair.

There are regional Audiworld forums on this site. Go on your regional forum and ask the guys to recommend a good mechanic because you're being ripped off.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Broncboarder
Thanks for your input fellas! After getting my car back, I spoke with the mechanic and he said a typical audi owner will spend around $2500 per year on maintenance and repairs. Hearing you guys makes me feel a lot better about how much i've spent and the types of repairs i've had to do. I'm still wondering if the mechanic I went to charged a lot more for labor than most german mechanics (outside of dealers)? They charge $250 per hour for labor, does that sounds normal?
Thanks again,
Steve
Wow those mechanics must be banking. I think the dealers rate is 185 and hour.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I am with everyone else. I have a good indie that only does VWs and Audis and charges $75 / hour. I am at about $1000 / year doing about half the work myself and buying some parts myself. I have over 200K on mine.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm in Denver, Colorado and I looked at the forum on audi mechanics in my area and this was one of the ones that came up. I would love to find a mechanic that only charges 100 or less per hour for labor. I thought this fee was ridiculous too, but wasn't sure if that was consistent in other places. So I'm curious about the quotes he tried to give me for other parts he said needed fixed asap. He quoted me at $600 for motor mounts, sound accurate?
Old 04-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well that's definitely a relief to hear that the $2500 per year is not accurate and that they are charging a ridiculous amount. Does $700 sound realistic to fix a coolant flange, crank case and vent hose? What did you have to replace last year that cost $1500?

Originally Posted by Gingerbread man
$250 is retarded. $80-90 is normal over here. The dealer charges that much. If you shop around, you can get $60-70. I don't think I've heard anyone charge $250/hr. Where are you? Hong Kong or Monaco?

All my repair last year was $1500. $0 so far this year. You're not going to be paying $2500/year for repair.

There are regional Audiworld forums on this site. Go on your regional forum and ask the guys to recommend a good mechanic because you're being ripped off.

Quick Reply: Did I get a lemon?