A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Did you know that if the e-brake light is on, does not mean that brake is engaged...(long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you know that if the e-brake light is on, does not mean that brake is engaged...(long)

I park on a steep hill at work, if you were to get out of the car with it in neutral and no e-brake on it would immediatly roll forward. Today I parked my car in the same spot, engaged the e-brake -- about 4 hrs later an email was sent out indicating that an Audi had rolled into a parked car. My e-brake was engaged, e-brake light was on. From the damage to my car and the vehicle I hit it looks like the car slowly crept the 25 feet, especially since I barely brushed the back right bumber with my front left side panel -- minor scuff to his car a dent to my car.

Went to Audi dealer and questioned the service-GM regarding this situation. His answer was that if the E-Light is on it does not mean the brake is on (OK??) plus e-brake has to be fully engaged inorder for it to properly work...on our A4 that means moving the center arm rest and then yanking with all your streangth.

What do you guys think about this, seems to me that Audi should have some responsibility in this situation, light was on, e-brake was engaged, car only 2-3 weeks old, etc.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:32 AM

Default no kidding, i agree...m...

if the LIGHT IS ON, then dammit, that should mean IT is ON. The GM says that in order for it to be on, it must be properly engaged the whole way up? THEN FOR CHRISTS SAKE, the LIGHT shouldnt come on, indicating it is ON, until the friggin brake is ON.

Sue them. If this had been a kid on a tricycle that your Audi rolled over, Audi would have some questions to answer before congressional committees.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:35 AM

Default granted, there are differences in slopes of hills....and

each different hill requires that much more pressure or engagement of the brake.....

And throw in the amount of human error in judgement on your part.....

At any rate, the simple phrase he used in their defense is absurd.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I can say that i've noticed that the brake takes a lot to engage (m)

I park my car on only a mild slope, and unless I pull the brake all the way up, it will still roll backwards after I take my foot off the brake. Once the light is on, the brake should be fully engaged, otherwise you'll never know.

Make them assume some kind of responsibility.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Hill is not that steep..m...

but car will roll if car in neutral and no e-brake...but when I walk into my building once I park I always glance back at my vehicle before I go in....probably about 100 yard walk and by the time I in and looked back it was still in the same spot. Car slowly gave way and rolled forward. Whats the point of the light if it does not mean that the brake is engaged?
Old 12-31-2003, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I am trying (m)

I agree, light on -- brake should be on. They are going to look at the car and see if everything is working properly, my guess is that they are going to come back to me and tell me that car is up factory specs, I will not be happy with that answer and will go farther with this.

Granted I have had very good treatment from my dealer, never had an issue -- always treated me very well -- so far this is not a rant about the dealer ... atleast not yet.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default This has happened to others before...

What happens is when you engage your e-brake the brakes are hot and have expanded. If it's not engaged tightly then when the brakes cool they will contract and release a little bit. You have to make sure to pull the lever good and hard when on a hill. Also, you should always turn your wheel into the curb when parked on a hill anyway, that would have prevented the whole problem.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am in a parking lot, there is no curb....
Old 12-31-2003, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Why do you park in neutral, just leave it in gear and you don't have to use the e-brake.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You're going to be disappointed if you persue it - Audi has no responsibility here...

...unless it was a defect, of course. This was a simple and unfortunate error in judgement.

If I dont apply proper braking force and I rear end someone, is Audi liable for my misjudgement? Of course not.

You're asking for a car where the parking brake is not modulated - it's an off/on switch either applying 100% braking force or 0%.

Not necessarily a bad idea, but I'm not sure why you would assume that Audi's (or any car for that matter) are set up that way.

Hopefully your damage is minor - dents can easily be popped, and scratches can be buffed.

Quick Reply: Did you know that if the e-brake light is on, does not mean that brake is engaged...(long)