A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Dimming Rear View?. . . (flame suit ready)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2002, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dimming Rear View?. . . (flame suit ready)

Anyone else have a problem with glare at night from the self dimming rear view mirror? I like the feature but it just doesn't darken enough.

I want to tint - probably my only mod - but I really REALLY need more from that dimming mirror.

Anyone else have this problem?
Anyone add tint to the rear view mirror itself? (making sure not to cover the sensor but covering the mirrored glass only)

Let me hear from you. . . .
Old 03-13-2002, 10:40 AM

Default Hmm, if anything mine is too dark.

I think tint on the rear glass will affect the dimming feature to the point that it will not work at all.
Old 03-13-2002, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm with you.
Old 03-13-2002, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Dimming Rear View?. . . (flame suit ready)

The light sensor is below the mirrored surface so no worries about "covering" it with tint. If you tint the rear window you will reduce the light entering the car and get less tinting from the mirror.

I tinted the mirrors in my old Mazda myself to achieve the same effect and was real hapy with the results. However with the heated mirrors I am not sure that I would do it on my Audi.

But I like the auto dimming and if anything find it reduces my ability to see details at night. Ever tried to check out a girl while passing with auto dimming ? Impossible ! ! ! ;-)
Old 03-13-2002, 11:22 AM

Default Re: I'm with you.

I understand tinting the windows will decrease the amount of light reaching the rear view mirror and will thus affect the functionality of the sensor. I just wondered if anyone else thought the mirror did not darken enough. . . I've been getting headaches at night from the glare. . . I can't be the only one, can I?
Old 03-13-2002, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've had mixed results...

I've been in most situations where the dimming appears to work correctly in the rear view. I've had a few times where it seems like it's not doing anything (a big van got behind me at a light - very bright bulb, probably out of alignment).

I've also been concerned that the side mirrors aren't doing their job. I understand that because of them being heated, the dimming will be tinted towards blue rather than a green tint found on the rear view. If they are dimming, I just can't tell.

Since I've found out that the dimming goes away when the A4 goes into reverse, I've done a test in my garage. It's bright outside, but dark in the garage, so the dimming will occur when I start the car. I let this go for a minute and then put it into reverse. I can clearly see the rear view change, but not the sides.

Maybe they're not working? I'll have the dealer look at them when I go for my 10k service (about a week from now). Are other's sides noticeable?
Old 03-13-2002, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I've not noticed another complaint like yours. You might be the only one. Just kidding.
Old 03-13-2002, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I've noticed the same thing...

A lot of times I've had a lot of glare through the rear view mirror. I was going to take it to the dealer for a look.

Rajesh
Old 03-13-2002, 12:49 PM

Default Just Call Me Sensitive. . . .(more)

OK, so maybe I AM the only one. . . .Guess I just have sensitive eyes.

I'm not sure if I will tint the entire car or not. I'll have to wait until summer to see how hot it gets. At a minimum I will tint the inside rear view mirror just a bit.
Old 03-13-2002, 01:06 PM

Default Anyone with their dimming mirrors and have tinted~

will it affect much at night?

Quick Reply: Dimming Rear View?. . . (flame suit ready)