A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Disaster after Engine rebuild - have already posted on B5 forum but...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disaster after Engine rebuild - have already posted on B5 forum but...

I trust & appreciate your " more experienced advice" too. Finally got my baby back ( 2001 A4) after 5 weeks to get engine rebuilt free for oil sludge damage. Car ran great for about 3 days, then noticed volt meter was not staying in 14-15 range like it used to. Last night on way home, battery ( generator) lite came on. Called dealer this am, asked about how to tell diff between battery & alternator problems. They said "keep an eye on it,but shouldnt be the alternator". Was flying solo at work today, but left early. B4 I got to dealer, alt. went . Pulled over b4 getting squashed by trucks - infamous alternator clicking sound. Called dealer, called 911, ( NJ t'pike has 'approved' tow trucks) any way, 5 hours later & 2 tow trucks, I got home. I need your objective advice here, if possible. Is there any way that during the 5 weeks they had the car to repair the sludge damage, that they damaged the alternator? Is it close to all the engine parts they ripped out to repair? I had no probs whatsoever with battery or volt meter / alt. b4. Is there a connection? I need to speak with Serv. Mgr tomorrow & I just can't believe this is coincidence. All input welcome. Thnx
Old 08-24-2004, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Sure it's possible, but would be imposstible to determine. Alternators can go bad...

easily after 80K miles or so. I'm afraid there doesnt seem to be a way for you to truly determine if they broke it. On the bright side, I shouldnt think the part will cost too much and it is a relatively easy install. cheers! Mike
Old 08-24-2004, 05:47 PM

Concur.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:04 PM

Default Hi Doc, but I heard that they would have to remove the alternator, before ..

replacing / repairing engine parts & then replace it and that it is possible that some damage 'might' have occured. However, heard a loud "clunking" noise, best way I can describe it, that was when yellow battery lite came on & I pulled over & stopped the car. When I tried to restart it, just to see, was when I heard the clicking noises.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default if you really want to be bold, you can check your alternator

but you'll have to unmount it. Not sure if you have to take the bumper our since the alternators are usually in the same line as the timing belt. also not sure if your engine is transverse.

anyway, if you do manage to get the alternator out, you can unscrew one side (usually away from the pulley), and look at the 2 or 3 metalic prongs. there should be a groove like wear in them like a basin. the only problem is, unless you have a brand new alternator to compare the prongs to, you won't know how much wear there is and how much you have left.

i had alternator problems up the ying-yang on my old gti and i'd just go to the junk yard and pick up an alternator. it got to the point that it happened often (cuz some of the alternators in the junk yard aren't new and the prongs are just as worn), that i'd just go to the yard and take apart alternators and look for that piece, and then take it home (pocket size), and swap it on my alternator. i know there's a name for that prongs, but i forgot what they were called.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Absolutely true...

When replacing the engine, they surely removed it and reinstalled it. It is indeed possible that they didnt damage it, but instead reinstalled it improperly causing either the belt to come off of it or they did not tighen the wires to it all the way and it came disconnected. This you could inspect for yourself. Otherwise if everything looks good and the thing just died on you, than i'm afraid it is most likely going to need to be replaced and the etiology of the failure will be difficult to be determined. Good luck with this and please let us know how it turned out. Cheers! Mike
Old 08-24-2004, 06:20 PM

Default I like to be bold but not that way, big guy, u think I'm gonna..

take the freaking bumper off ??? Nice try, but am not blonde or stupid, or a she-man, lol !! Will however use your input in my quest for another free repair. Already got them today to push back next 2 months car payments, since I have not had use of my baby for eons.....
Old 08-24-2004, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Damn it would be nice to be a woman sometimes...

I complain to my dealership and they laugh at me and tell me my warranty is voided. Oh how I admire your ways of persuasion. cheers! Mike
Old 08-24-2004, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Old 08-24-2004, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

second

Quick Reply: Disaster after Engine rebuild - have already posted on B5 forum but...