A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Do any of you sense resentment from people around you for owning an Audi?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do any of you sense resentment from people around you for owning an Audi?

Just had to get it off my chest... I sense a great deal of it with this car, and it just makes me wonder about our society. Btw, I did not come from rich either. Anyways, any of you get the same?
Old 09-11-2002, 12:00 PM

Default I guess maybe....

I usually don't mention my car or I tell people its a VW b/c I do not want people to be spiteful or resent me. Outside of my close friends and family most people actually think I own a VW. Then when they find out its an Audi its a big story to explain why I said I own a VW. But yes I do agree people can often be resentful for stupid things like a car.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:06 PM

Default Depends who your friends are ...

If your friends drive BMWs and MBs, they're not going to be resentful. If they're driving '96 Hyundai, it's a bit more understandable (though still wrong). Most of my neighbors are somewhere in between.
I've also found that people badly overestimate how much Audis cost. People have told me they thought it was $35K+, but I only paid $27.5K (A4 Avant 1.8Tqm).
Maybe also some people are into the Buy American thing.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I don't get it, too. I EARNED this car, yet it's judged as the product of my being?

I'll admit I get angered over it because I've worked so hard to own this car, and owning this car had nothing to do with having a "reputation" to me. That's one of the reasons I went with Audi and not BMW. If people want a car like this WORK for it, don't be mad at me for having one cause I put the blood and sweat into it. I'm telling you, if folks don't believe Audi has moved into prime real estate with MB, Lexus, etc., believe it...
Old 09-11-2002, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

BTW, that sucks that you have to say your car is a VW
Old 09-11-2002, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Depends who your friends are ...

People do the same thing to me. They think my 1.8T Avant is a $50K car because it has 4 rings on it. Then they go out and by a $37k SUV and don't get any slack for buying an exepensive vehicle because of what it is. Had a guessing game once on how much a friend's Suburban cost and how much my Avant cost. Everyone was quite stunned to learn that an Audi was almost $6k cheaper than a poorly put together truck.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:12 PM

Default I agree with you all the way Joe

I bought Audi in the end b/c it was the superior car, however I started looking at Audi b/c I thought I could get the quality w/o the crap (i.e. what is associated with BMW and MB). Audi and Volvo is where I started although I looked at the C230 and the BMW 323xi. After owning my Audi for several months I have come to realize people judge me less harshly then if I had a BMW or MB but more so then if I had a chevy or Subaru...go figure
Old 09-11-2002, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You're right...people badly overestimate the cost of our cars

I get mid 30s and 40s all day -- very far off! I actually think I have the cheapest A4 on this board. But I'll say, this is a testament to Audi design and branding. I was actually looking for a 99.5 A4 before I picked up this one. My close friends don't really resent or anything, but co-workers and other peers - geesh!
Old 09-11-2002, 12:16 PM

it's much worst with BMW's, i used to have a '01 325ci
Old 09-11-2002, 12:17 PM

Yeah I am aware....but VW is still cool...I think next car for real hidden lux I'll get the phaeton

Quick Reply: Do any of you sense resentment from people around you for owning an Audi?