A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Do ECU/chip upgrades have any negative effects?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do ECU/chip upgrades have any negative effects?

I just bought a 2005 a4 1.8T ultrasport. Performance mods are in the near future. I was looking for suggestions for the very best ECU/chip modifications and also would like to know if making this change effects the engine in any negative way long-term. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-17-2004, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default they could have negative effects if not tuned properly.

there are many tuners such as APR, GIAC, AMS, REVO, Neuspeed, etc. You can do a search and hear reviews from people of all chips. From what ive read, Revo seems to be very good. However you should go with whatever is in your local area. Chipping is great, it really does push the car well. The downside is that if anything does happen to the car (something breaks) thats related to the chip, then your warranty wont cover it.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:01 PM
MP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

warranty implications...
Old 08-17-2004, 12:15 PM

Default I would agree to find a local shop...

I live near GreedSpeed and had them put in my Neuspeed chip. It's a 1.2 bar and probably one of the mildest chips (probably the safest and smog legal) available and there is a HUGE difference.

Since the chip has been out for awhile, it's a proven upgrade and with the filter and BPV it barely puts any extra stress on things (IMO of course).
Old 08-17-2004, 12:17 PM

Default the way i understand it....

and keep in mind, this is key info from users like general zod and a bunch of helpful others, is that if the chip is tuned too high, you are risking blowing your turbo.

i have the same car as you and want to chip it, but have been asking every noob question out there so i dont have to replace the turbo at 30k miles.

you also want to baby your turbo (look at page 2 right now and see the question I asked about chipping- general zod gave a great, insightful answer that will really help you).

you also have a warranty issue if you chip. chipping voids the warranty. be sure to check out the article so you know the whole scoop.

-dogTown
Old 08-17-2004, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think the chip causes more wear and tear on the overal system

Since the entire system is being pushed harder, there is potential for burning out lots of things and what not. Everything done is at your own risk. Even chipped, I don't push the engine all the much if I can avoid it. I hope to keep my car for a very very long time so I am trying to baby it for a bit even if it is chipped.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:50 PM

Default Possibly increased likelihood of negative encounters with law enforcement...

although in the 4 months that i've been chipped, my record's been clean (as opposed to the preceding months, where i had some "issues" with cops )
Old 08-17-2004, 07:02 PM

Default Also...

When getting a chip tune and going with "modest" boost, you should not need to change anything. The more you increase your boost/play with timing, the more you need to support the system, such as:

91 Octane gas minimum (this is the rule even before you chip) - but it pretty much is mandatory since you will probably ping all over the place with anything less.

Copper spark plugs to enhance cooling effect and reduce chance of detonation/pinging.

KEEP THE SYSTEM COOL...as much as you can anyways! Larger intercooler (FMIC). Less heatsoak, more reliable power, ability to sustain boost longer. The stock one, being inside the engine bay and being so small is affected by heatsoak really bad, then causing the turbo system to become heat soaked, resulting in power loss after not much time.

Exhaust w/ downpipe, performance air intake filter, test-pipe. All these reduce stress to the turbo by allowing air to flow more freely throughout your system and keep the turbo much cooler - especially with the test pipe and intercooler - the test pipe frees up the barrier your catalytic converter creates and lets heat escape far easier and the turbo gets less heat soak. Not only do you reduce stress, you increase spoolup time (reducing turbo lag), and of course, increase power to the engine.

The part of this that is bad for your engine is that now you are presented, on a golden platter, the ability to push your car harder and harder than before...something you may not have done without any mods. So, I would have to say that the mods don't prematurely wear your engine nearly as much as driving it hard with those mods does.

Oh yeah, your warranty will suffer too the more you mod.

Remember, once you begin modding, you open the floodgates. You will have the mod bug like everyone else...even if you did not plan on doing anything more than the chip. Respect the bug!

As far as warranties go...I think it's a crapshoot of whatever fails and if you have a cool dealer. I had a turbo failure with Revo and exhaust, due to my oil pump failing though, and the turbo and pump were replaced under warranty. I was sweating but no mention of the chip was brought up. But I believe the mod has to be the cause of the failure if you wanted to fight it, like if your power-lockes fail it's probably not due to your shiny, new exhaust system.

I am probably leaving alot of crap out, but once again, my $.02
Old 08-18-2004, 06:09 AM

Default Re: Also...

Thanks for the help.