A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

do you really have to resurface your fly wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do you really have to resurface your fly wheel?

i was talking to a friend (audi tech) and telling him about the clutch i picked up and how he needs to find me a shop to resurface the fly wheel. he told me that is pointless. he says he drops clutches in audis all the time and unless the fly wheel is in really bad condition it does not need to be resurfaced. he then says if its really really bad just get a new one. he says since this is my first clutch after stock it would be pointless to have it resurfaced. my car has about 70k on it so i doubt its that bad. am i wasting my $ by resurfacing?
Old 05-07-2007, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't need to resurface if it's smooth and not blue
Old 05-07-2007, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

I'd get is resurfaced just in case. 70k is 70k. Resurfacing is relatively cheap anyway.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:11 PM

Default straight-edge/measure wear to see if it is needed....

I think there is a spec/wear limit for it.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default it may be good, but you need to check dual mass spring tolerances as well

There is a nice write up by Andy in the Tech section of AZ that covers the acceptable movement between the two pieces.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Depends greatly on the flywheels surface...

A smooth, flat flywheel surface is essential for proper clutch operation. Flywheels are subject to heat, scoring and warping during use.

The clutch pressure plate and clutch disk need to be removed, inorder to inspect the flywheels surface/face.

If upon careful inspection there are signs of scoring, heat damage or warpage the flywheel should be resurfaced or replaced to assure good clutch performance. Resurfacing should be done on a flywheel-grinding machine only. Refer to the factory service manual for resurfacing specifications (Flat, Step, Etc.). WARNING: IF YOUR FLYWHEEL SHOWS ANY SIGNS OF CRACKING, REPLACE IT! Never roughen the flywheel clutch surface with sanding as this reduces clutch life. The surfaces are designed to rub against each other (Producing Friction), not tear into each other (causing abrasion).
Old 05-08-2007, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: I'd get is resurfaced just in case. 70k is 70k. Resurfacing is relatively cheap anyway.

why did you purchase your clutch? was your clutch going or did you just want to upgrade. i think we have about the same amount of miles on our cars
Old 05-08-2007, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I simply wanted to upgrade. My stock clutch was still okay.

BTW there's talk on AZ that the SB FE SS (not the OFE) is better and it is now recommended instead of the OFE. Don't know why or since when. Might be worth contacting Jeff on AZ and asking him.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yup. i purchased the fe. >

i was doing a lot of reasearch and a bunch of guys with larger turbo setups were roasting the ofe. the fe holds better to heat. its more for autoxing and tracking. for a daily run the ofe is fine. how do you feel about apr's 0%? for durty fest 2 they had a price on the kit of 4730. you think they will honor that price today with the 0% apr? if so i think i may pull the trigger. want to order 2 and see if we can save some cash?
Old 05-08-2007, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default APR financing is kinda cool, but since I'm in Canada I'm not legible for it.

Maybe that's a good thing, lol.

It is very tempting. However modding the car while increasing your debt is kinda sucky.

Quick Reply: do you really have to resurface your fly wheel?