A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Driver Window Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 01:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver Window Not Working

Yesterday I rolled my window down then about 30 minutes later I try and roll it up and it doesn't do anything, no regulator noise, no movement, nothing .I took the car home and took the door panel off and inspected the regulator which looked good. I then swapped the regulator to the passenger door to see if it would work and it did. It's very weird, the drivers side door panel switches will only lower/up every window except driver's side. Also front passenger window won't roll down with the switch on the passengers door panel. (I have to press my switch to roll it down). Lastly after I reassembled everything back together the mirrors refuse to adjust now from the switch on the driver door panel.... What could be wrong? I find it strange how it was working so perfect then for some reason it refuses to work.
lastly I checked the fuses and they're all good. Let me know what you guys think .

You can email me justinallanking707@gmail.com or text or call 7073059734
Old 07-13-2020, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hello, no advise for you but i feel your pain.....mine has been playing up for a while now and anytime soon its gonna stick, i just know it. i had a B5, all in all much better build quality all round but too late now, stuck with this.
glove compartment cover hinges broke, it fell off, rain gets in under the back spare wheel, back light fiing section snapped off, its now taped in, the windscreen is glarey ..etc etc
Old 07-14-2020, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like the driver's window switch to me. Ditto for the passenger's window switch. I've never experienced a failure, so couldn't tell you whether they can be torn apart and cleaned or not, but probably. There's info on here about taking the switches out and reinstalling.

Maudi62, these are 18 year old cars with some parts of them that weren't well-engineered to begin with. The plastics are part of that group. You can buy ugly but serviceable glove box door brackets on eBay or get into it more completely. The problem really is that the dampers on the door wear out, then the relatively heavy door falls open. The hinges can't take it and they break. Also, don't slam the center console door or the latch is history. And don't pull it open and let it go all the way back quickly because the hinges might break. But really, if you want to enjoy the Audi experience, you either are going to have to learn about the car and how to fix it, or have adequate funds $$$ to pay someone, or buy a Honda. Then there's the whining.....

Last edited by W261w261; 07-14-2020 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Justin A. King
Yesterday I rolled my window down then about 30 minutes later I try and roll it up and it doesn't do anything, no regulator noise, no movement, nothing .I took the car home and took the door panel off and inspected the regulator which looked good. I then swapped the regulator to the passenger door to see if it would work and it did. It's very weird, the drivers side door panel switches will only lower/up every window except driver's side. Also front passenger window won't roll down with the switch on the passengers door panel. (I have to press my switch to roll it down). Lastly after I reassembled everything back together the mirrors refuse to adjust now from the switch on the driver door panel.... What could be wrong? I find it strange how it was working so perfect then for some reason it refuses to work.
lastly I checked the fuses and they're all good. Let me know what you guys think .

You can email me justinallanking707@gmail.com or text or call 7073059734
I was experiencing the exact same thing. Did you happen to check your wires at the harness going into the switch as well as the harness going into the window motor?

I was struggling with only the driver's window not working and after buying a motor off ebay and it didn't work either, I went after the wires and looking at the long connector that connects to the motor I found the broken wire. Appears that the brown green goes to the driver side window. I didn't have a schematic. Just dumb luck finding it I guess.

brown green was broken, here is when I about ready to soder them back together
Old 07-24-2020, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

BTW it works now. I would absolutely look at your wires going to and from both the mirror and the window switches. I agree with the other guys that you may need a new master switch for the driver's door. Mine was doing the same thing and the driver's window refused to work still. The mirror switch may have come unplugged I would double check your work as when I went into my door I found the harness going to the mirror switch to be disconnected.