A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

E05 Turbo Kit in and holy hell.... does this thing kick ass.... (E05 Turbo Kit Impressions) *EDIT*

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E05 Turbo Kit in and holy hell.... does this thing kick ***.... (E05 Turbo Kit Impressions) *EDIT*

Alright....

well as most of you know or not know, I've gone from 1 '91 Audi 100 FWD to 2 B5 A4's 1.8TQ Tip to now a '04 1.8T. I had been doing a lot (and I do mean a lot of research) on finding out what the next type of "turbo" kit was going to be available for the B6 chassis.

Anyways.... long story short. Eric @ SPP got the kit in his A4 probably about a month or so ago. Hadn't dyno'ed it yet, but claimed to have around 260HP @ crank. If anything, this perked my interest as to what the kit could do with my Tiptronic setup.

So, made a few phone calls, found out the kit was in fact available to get, so I figured, what the hell.

Note that I also got the exhaust from Strat including the downpipe in order to let this thing breathe some. I have not upgraded my intercooler at this point. That is something I may end up doing in the spring, but it's so cold here, it shouldn't matter that much.

With that said... the kit consists of:
E05 Turbo
Bosch Sparks
" Fuel Injectors
Port Manifold

All in all I spent about $2700 on this kit. Also tack on the exhaust, so just a little over $3,000 spent on this upgrade.

So with that said, I had the car at my local shop here in Beaverton. I asked them if they could do the install and I assist with things. They said sure. They only charged me $100 bucks flat (I've been there a lot so I have history with them) since they hadn't done this type of work before and wanted to get their hands dirty.

Took the car in @ 8am this morning. Headed down to help them with the mounting of the exhaust around 11:30am and continued to work on the car till about 1pm when we took a break for lunch. Got back around 2pm, and just finshed up about 1hr 1/2 ago. I don't have a turbo timer or a boost gauge installed yet, but I made sure to let the car warm up some before taking her out for a spin.

Also note: No fault codes were set off by this install. Checked via VAG-COM to make sure of this. (ie CELL and junk).

So upon taking off from the parking lot..... this thing pulls like a mad bitch on crack. I mean seriously... if Audi ever got their hands on this and slapped it into their A4 Turbo line, there'd be new life to the car lineup. I would easily say that it has been the most statisfying mod I have ever done.

In Tiptronic mode, the turbo spools up just around 2800 RPM and pulls strong all the way up to 7500 RPM. I was messing around with feeling the torque and boost between the shifts on some back streets and luckily it keeps it's boost all the way through the gears so no need to update the BPV. (yet.... ;-) 0-60 times I would say probably around 6.0 seconds or so. Probably a full second faster (or so) than normal. I haven't taken the car up to triple digits yet, but probably by next week after my 1,000 mile break in, I'm gonna cruise down I-5 and see how this does.

Traffic light to traffic light I pretty much chirped my tires whenever I wanted to and even had a honda try to race. Didn't give him the pleasure though since I'm still going to wait to break this baby in.

Overall, this upgrade has been the best upgrade I've ever done to a car. I'm hoping to get it Dyno'ed soon to give you guys some numbers. The car feels like it should have coming off the factory line. It has so much more power and so much more torque..... now the problem lies in keeping me from further modding this. I'll link this in my Sig so anytime people have a question, this thread can be tracked.

Cya guys!
-Aaron-
Old 11-05-2003, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Congrats and great comments. Did Eric @ SPP have any concerns about the Tip and the added power?
Old 11-05-2003, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sounds pretty good - but I think he means 260hp at the crank not the wheels...

since 260hp at the wheels would be around 310hp at the crank and well - let's just say that isn't gonna happen on pump gas.

Kit sounds real promising and a good middle of the road between stock and the Stage III offerings. I know I'd skip the K04 and go this route if I was even considering a K04.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:31 PM

Congrats. ALso, you didn't list it, but did you require an ECU s/w update as well?
Old 11-05-2003, 04:33 PM

N00b question: what are the basic differences between an E05 and a K04?
Old 11-05-2003, 04:39 PM

Default yeah that's what I meant... I'll probably update it later tonight...

Off to see the Matrix right now. :-)
Old 11-05-2003, 04:40 PM

Default Nope....

He didn't express any real concern since the HP/Torque are conservative for the car. :-)

Upgarding the chassis isn't needed like you would need to with the StageIII Tip kit.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Good to hear. I am now absolutely green with envy.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:03 PM

Default Were you chipped beforehand?

Aaron, when you get a chance, I think everyone would like to see some data logs, block 115, 030 or is it 003, etc. And if you can spare the money, a dyno run or two.

Glad to see that you are happy with the kit.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:06 PM

What I heard is K04 is totally different turbo and E05 is modified K03

Quick Reply: E05 Turbo Kit in and holy hell.... does this thing kick ass.... (E05 Turbo Kit Impressions) *EDIT*