A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Experiences replacing standard sport wheels/tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 10:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experiences replacing standard sport wheels/tires?

I just picked up my car, but I'm already interested in replacing my sport wheels and tires...

I'm starting to worry about how the wheels extend out past the rubber. I saw something about the tires being damaged in a car wash (those tracks you drive into even in the touchless systems) plus I'm worried about rubbing up against the curb accidentally when parking along a curb (lots of curbside parking in my area) Please, no jokes about "learn how to park", we all suffer lapses of attention once in a while, I'd rather feel rubber rubbing instead of hearing metal when mine lapses!

What would be my options for replacement sport wheels/tires that would do the following:

1) high performance all-season tires, so I don't need winter tires. Yes, I'll sacrifice a bit of performance over the summer tires, but I'm not running in rallys so I probably won't miss it. It seems silly to me to spend $1000 on a separate set of wheels and tires I'll only use a few months each year.

2) wheels that don't extend past the rubber, so I'll be safe if I rub a curb or visit a car wash. I don't have this problem in my old car, but its wheels don't extend out like the Audi's.

3) wheels that won't get bent on potholes (lots of those around town) I understand this isn't a problem for the standard sport wheels, but the RS4 wheels for instance are suspectible.

I'd need to find a buyer for my current wheels and tires, hopefully it shouldn't be too hard even if I have a couple hundred miles on them by the time I get my new ones. What would I expect to get for them?

Anyone have any good ideas for wheels and tires I should consider? Is there any way I can tell which ones will extend past the rubber when browsing at say tirerack.com? I'd want something that looks a bit different from the standard ones, but has the same finish (no shiny chrome, those are UGLY) I'd consider 18" or even 19" if the cost isn't all that much higher, just because I think they'd look a bit meaner. I understand the ride might be a little more harsh, but I have no problems with the current ride so unless it is a major difference it wouldn't bother me.
Old 04-10-2002, 10:08 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's rather easy to grind wheels on any 45-series tires

It's been that way with any car I've had with 45s, but I do agree...the Audi sport wheels need special care.
Which tires are mounted on your sports? I might like having a few extras.
Old 04-11-2002, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Pep Boys has curb feelers.
Old 04-11-2002, 06:56 AM

Default I just don't think ... (more) ...

... you're going to get a low profile tire / wheel combo that doesn't have this issue. This holds true more so if you're going with a 18"/19" wheel.
Old 04-11-2002, 08:33 AM

Default Curbed my 17" sport wheel and learned...

On Monday, just two weeks after purchase, I hit a cut stone curb while parking. My 17" sport wheel surface is mutilated! I got the Sport Package, with its characteristic five-spoke alloy wheel.

My experience teaches me that:

1. The surface of the wheel sticks out past rubber just a hair. The 'stick out zone' is about five inches to seven inches from the center (picture the spokes ever-so-slightly bowed). I know because this is the area that got scratched on all five spokes when someone put the damaged wheel face-down on flat pavement.

2. My dealer said that replacing the wheel would cost $450. Surface damage could be repaired for $100 to $200, and re-shaping the wheel would cost $200+. For $450, I'd rather be buying BBS RK's at $300 ea (at <a href="http://www.tirerack.com">TireRack</a>) or even RK2's at $450 ea.

3. I need to learn to park.

The automated car wash was not a problem. They ran it through and the wheels were fine.

--Seymour
Old 04-11-2002, 03:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: I just don't think ... (more) ...

Well, I was browsing tirerack.com, and see a lot of wheels that look like they'd be fine in this regard, like the one in the URL I attached. I guess I don't know that the lip wouldn't still be an issue, but at least the center section doesn't protrude.<ul><li><a href="http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/DisplayWheel.jsp?wheelMake=Breyton&wheelModel=Magi c&wheelFinish=Silver+w%2FMachined+Lip">http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/DisplayWheel.jsp?wheelMake=Breyton&wheelModel=Magi c&wheelFinish=Silver+w%2FMachine
Old 04-13-2002, 11:16 PM

Default ...they cost $110 to repair!

I called the dealer on Friday and he said that their wheel-repair guy quoted $110. So I'm going to pick it up on Monday.

Darn, I thought I'd have to buy a whole new set of BBS RX2's. I think I'd better find some more effective curbs to attack...

--Seymour