A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Extra key for 2003 Audi

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extra key for 2003 Audi

Brought a 2003 Audi A4 quattro but it came with only one key. Does anyone know how to get a extra key much cheaper than the dealer's price of over $300? I live in Tampa.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

I looked into an extra key about 6 mo ago. Got this in PA: Replacement key $190 + $25 to program + tax
Old 06-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

$300 seems way to expensive even at the dealer. The dealer I go to told me it'd be around $160 for a second/replacement key for my car.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

sheeeshh... we bought an 02 with only one key and just yesterday I was thinking about getting another one... ehh... not trying to drop $200-$300
Old 06-10-2009, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUDI-...Q5fAccessories

If you only have one key like I do, and loose it, it is an entire day's time and $500 to have the car towed to a dealer and a new one made from your VIN info!

You can call the number in the listing above and deal with them direct. i just ordered a spare for both our Audis. $35 to $60 for the remote with key blank, new batteries, and immobilizer chip. You then have to get the key laser cut and the unit programmed at a dealer (or a rare locksmith so equipped to handle Audi stuff) You have to have any keys and remotes for the car there at the same time, as they need to program them together for them all the work.

On the A4's, you need to remove the key portion of your remote, and get the best magnifier you own out to read the super fine print that tells what model remote you have. You will need this info, otherwise, the remote you get might not be able to work with the car no matter how much you try to program it. there is a series of numbers starting with 8 and ending with a letter. My 2002 A4 took the rare "B" ending letetr remote, and i had a hard time finding one. these guys in the link above had them. Ones that end in F are easier to find.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by onlyaudis

If you only have one key like I do, and loose it, it is an entire day's time and $500 to have the car towed to a dealer and a new one made from your VIN info!

You can call the number in the listing above and deal with them direct. i just ordered a spare for both our Audis. $35 to $60 for the remote with key blank, new batteries, and immobilizer chip. You then have to get the key laser cut and the unit programmed at a dealer (or a rare locksmith so equipped to handle Audi stuff) You have to have any keys and remotes for the car there at the same time, as they need to program them together for them all the work.

On the A4's, you need to remove the key portion of your remote, and get the best magnifier you own out to read the super fine print that tells what model remote you have. You will need this info, otherwise, the remote you get might not be able to work with the car no matter how much you try to program it. there is a series of numbers starting with 8 and ending with a letter. My 2002 A4 took the rare "B" ending letetr remote, and i had a hard time finding one. these guys in the link above had them. Ones that end in F are easier to find.
So in the end, how much did you end up having to put into getting a new key?
Old 06-11-2009, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

About $60 for the remote and key black with chip set up, and the dealer or locksmith charges $120 to laser cut the key and program the remotes/activate chip. So about $180 total. If you get the remote form the dealer, then the price shoots up to over $300 a piece. When I had an extra key made for my older cars, it cost about $5.00, but that is progress, and Audis are less likely to be stolen than most cars these days.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Audi a4

Hii!! Can this work even if you dont have any keys for audi? I just lost mine and they're the only one that i had.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Audi a4

Hii!! Can this work even if you dont have any keys for audi? I just lost mine and they're the only one that i had.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Filipo Mello
No. What he is saying is he ordered a blank and had a spare made using an existing key. Most locksmiths these days can copy cut and program a spare key no problem if you have a key to work with. Some might be willing to cut a new key if you have the key code, a photo of the original key, or lock cylinder with key code on it. They stopped putting key codes on lock cylinders around 2002. Even if you can find a locksmith that could make you a key, unless they have VAG Tacho or something similar, they won't be able to program the chip and car will shut off as soon as you start it.

Your only other option if you lost the only key is to get one from a dealer based on VIN and prove ownership. Last I knew, for security, they also no longer cut replacement keys. They only program them. They get them ordered and pre-cut directly from VW/Audi.

Quick Reply: Extra key for 2003 Audi