A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Failed inspection because of Sumitomo tire tread at 12K wear --- lame

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failed inspection because of Sumitomo tire tread at 12K wear --- lame

Brought my 02 3.0 A4 QMS to the dealer for inspection (PA). Didnt realize I had to pay $45 (or did I?), but anyway....

I replaced my Contis at 20K due to wear and upcoming winter. Have 12K on my Sumitomo HRT+ all-seasons. So far I've been very happy with these tires. Great winter traction, esp the first winter. Warm weather traction is good, similar to the contis halfway through their lifetime.

So how to I check wear again? With a penny?

I really didnt do anything that I can think of to make them wear so quickly. Other than a few deep snow parking lot sessions.

Planning on goin back to NTB and getting my warantee (40K). I think I'd like different tires though. Do they let you substitute?
Old 04-26-2004, 03:44 PM

Default to check the tread you are supposed to use a penny with lincoln's head upside down

if you see the head then you are too low. in NYS the first 2 years they only do a safety inspection which is 10 dollars and then after that they do the emmissions which here costs 35
Old 04-26-2004, 04:00 PM

Default ha...at most places, the whole inspection thing is a joke

i won't name names, but i've been in a number of shops and seen the inspection thing taken as nothing more than a formality and a joke. i've seen cars fail emissions tests and the probe then placed in the tailpipe of another nearby car, among other things. of course, if you go to the wrong shop, they'll take it seriously and **** you...a friend of mine had to replace the headlights on her range rover (mucho mucho dinero) because there was a hairline crack in one (i saw it and i don't think it even went all the way through) but the inspection shop made her replace it before she could get her car reregistered
Old 04-26-2004, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Drop by for a "Stevie Wonder" inspection.You need 2/32" for inspection in PA. Buying tires sux now

They will be worn by the heat of summer pavment. Try to get away with old ones until Fall. You can beat on the old ones this summer too and have some fun. I like to see belts before I toss a tire, but I was swimming today on the NE Tpk with 3/32". I have 3 sets, bit I am still facing April showers after switching to my "smokers" a few weeks ago. Seriously, if you want an inspection, guaranteed pass, we are near 80&81 and saturdays are ok, $20-$25. I need mine done for April too!
Old 04-27-2004, 03:40 PM

Default Thx Junkie. I might just do that.

First I'm gonna see what kind of warranty coverage these things have. Should be 70% off new Sumitomos since they are covered to 40K (12K so far.) Which would be $120 for 4 new tires mounted.....might be worth it.

I agree the timing couldnt be worse to put on new rubber.

Whats your favorite AS tire? Perhaps I can substitute.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 3 come to mind in acending price: Falken Ziex 512, Conti CEC, Mich XGT, Turanza H or Z. I have Conti

and Falkens now. The Falkens tend toward the cushy and Contis, performance. Same with the XGT being sporty and the Turanza being cushy, just higher price. I have 8 identical wheels and 4 Contis leftover from last year. The 2 old front worn ones are too beat for next winter, but I am only replacing those two (on identical rims) for the best snow action for the least $$$ spent. A 6-wheel/tire rotation, how creative on a quattro where all 4 have to be the same. If you cannot replace the Sumis under warranty (pro-rated anyway) just buy a new set of wheels and tires now and take them off the day after inspection, keeping them for fall. How is that for creative?