A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Fan question about the two fans that sit behind the radiator.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan question about the two fans that sit behind the radiator.

One fan is smaller, one fan is bigger.

Bentley calls one of them a "coolant fan".

Is the smaller of the fans the coolant fan? What is the other fan referred to?

TIA.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aux. fan...
Old 05-16-2007, 09:32 PM

Default Not getting any Bentley love on that -- that term does not exist and no info on that second fan

exists in the Bentley for the 1.8T. I'm trying to figure out what that fan relates to, and when/why it decides to kick on and off.

The noise I hear from inside the cabin is that fan when it is running.

Trying to figure out if the whole fan assembly may be bad or some component of it.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AFAIK, the second fan is for the A/C condenser, and is independant from the ..

engine cooling fan/cooling fan control module. The second fan responds to the A/C controller only.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:10 PM

Default Thanks diagnosticator1, appreciate the info. I just finished searching through the B5 forum on

A/C fan noise and it yielded some info for me.

The noise I hear definitely is that passenger side fan when the A/C kicks on -- sounds like a bad bearing (fan growls and moans). Do you know if the fan and fan motor are separate, or if it comes as one assembly? I think I need to source a new or used part now that the weather is heating up and I find I must use the A/C more -- Jr in his backseat captains chair is even starting to complain when it gets too hot in the car now.

If its the fan, I'm not happy about it going bad on a 61K mile car. But if it is the fan, I'm happy its not the A/C compressor. Funny how sometimes when you lose, you win...or something like that.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would go with a clean used fan assembly. The fan could be separated from the motor, ...

with some effort. But any replacement fan, new or used, will be an assembly anyway.
The fan is designed to last longer, but there will always be a small statistical probability for failure sooner than later, in total running hours. Statistics and your providence happened to coincide in this case.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:04 AM

Default Thanks again. Will source fan assembly both new and used and make a purchase decision from there.

Hopefully I can tackle the job in in the next 2-3 weeks.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:05 AM

Default ** paging diagnosticator1 ** I STFA for previous recommendations I seen you post on where to buy

used parts from. I believe you've posted a reference to a place out of Cali. Can you repost for me?

- I've checked my local dealers for cost of a new fan......$302~$306 before tax.

- I've called Clairparts......$245 + approx $15 for shipping.

- I checked out GenuineVWAudiparts.com online (no call yet) and they show......$208 before shipping.

- I called local to Absolute German Autowrecking, and they do not have any Audi's or parts related to a B6.....if they did.....it would be around $75 for such a fan.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A couple of good places to check:...

http://www.dadsauto.com/ in Sacramento, CA, and
Campbell Nelson, Arlington, WA, See link.<ul><li><a href="http://www.findusedparts.com/">Campbell Nelson</a></li></ul>
Old 05-21-2007, 09:57 AM

Default It was Dadsauto that I now remember you posting about.

I'll give them a call, and Campbells, within the next hour or so, and see what they can do.

Thanks a bunch, I really do appreciate it!

Quick Reply: Fan question about the two fans that sit behind the radiator.