A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

First gear noise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First gear noise?

Since I first got my 03 A4 1.8TQMS, I've been hearing a brief (~1 sec) rubbing/scratching sound, but only when engaging the clutch slowly in first gear, and only after having been parked. In other words, stopping and starting again from first gear after driving any distance does not repeat the sound. I took my car to the dealer for its first oil change at ~3,500 miles (I'm a wimp) and asked them to check it out. They said it was normal and not to worry unless it got worse. I asked them to note this on the work order, but all they said noted was "couldn't reproduce" even though the manager said that the mechanic had heard something.

When I got the car back, I did some Googling since it was fresh in my mind again. I found a very similar sounding scenario (on a '95 S6 though) at http://elektro.cmhnet.org/~charlie/photos/cars/01E/trans.html

<i>"The noise began as a very faint tic, tic, tic noise - but just when beginning to move in 1st gear when the car was cold and when it was 20F or 25F degrees outside. Sort of like the noise you made as a kid by putting a playing card into the spokes of a bicycle, but not that loud. Since it was cold, of course the windows were rolled up.

I dismissed the noise, as perhaps being due to something that oil had not yet reached, because once I would shift into 2nd for a few feet, and then back into 1st - the noise would be gone. I would only hear it on the first motion ... when I would be traveling at 2 or 3 MPH in a parking lot with very light throttle.

Anyway, by the time I had driven another 2000 miles, the noise was quite apparent, particularily if I would drive away with the windows rolled down. On disassembly, the damage to 1st gear was quite apparent. The rubbing
surface of one tooth on the mainshaft was very badly galled away."</i>

Any suggestions or anyone have this gear failure/galling happen to them on a new car? Could this happen in the first 200 miles which is when I started hearing the sound? Could it be a factory defect, since the mechanic didn't think anything of it and I may not have noticed it in the first day of new ownership (more or less when I put the 200 miles on it)? At the very least I was going to take it back to make sure that the manager heard the sound and made a note if it somewhere for future reference?<ul><li><a href="http://elektro.cmhnet.org/~charlie/photos/cars/01E/trans.html">http://elektro.cmhnet.org/~charlie/photos/cars/01E/trans.html</a</li></ul>
Old 03-07-2003, 11:12 AM

ABS initialising, normal, dont worry about it.
Old 03-07-2003, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

you UK people have a funny way of spelling ;-P
Old 03-07-2003, 11:15 AM

so the correct spelling of initialising is nukular? ;op
Old 03-07-2003, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default what about phish and chips?

initialising - uk spelling
initializing - us spelling

;-P
Old 03-07-2003, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: ABS initialising, normal, dont worry about it.

That would be great. I sure hope you are right.

Could someone else second docjan's feedback and confirm hearing this sound when engaging 1st gear from a parked state -- I'll sleep much better this weekend!
Old 03-07-2003, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Hey we Brit$ and American$ need to get along...

... with the Iraq war happening any day now, the Brits may be the only folks on the other side of the pond that like us! (and I've got too many frequent flier miles set aside for European Vacations
Old 03-07-2003, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default konfirmed

stamp of approveval, bless-ed with holy water, the "nod", and a big thumbs up... whatevea makes you sleep bettea....
Old 03-07-2003, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default nahhh.. the US can take on Iraq with half the forces they have now..

We can just use the SAS for the "special" missions
Old 03-07-2003, 11:26 AM

Kornfirmd

Quick Reply: First gear noise?