A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

First VAG-COM Tweak for 2002 A4

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2001, 03:57 PM
Audiworld Premium Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First VAG-COM Tweak for 2002 A4

Anyone notice how the pointers (needles) in the instruments are always lit, but the scales only lights up when you turn on the exterior lights?

It turns out there are four modes:

Mode 0: Nothing lit until ext. light on
Mode 1: Pointers lit all the time
Mode 2: Scales lit all the time
Mode 3: Pointers and Scales lit all the time

To change modes:

* SELECT
* Address: 17-Instruments
* Function: 10-Adaptation
* Channel: 19

Stored Value should be 11000 (or something close). The first digit is the Mode described above and you can change it to set the mode desired. I don't know yet what the other digits do..

-Uwe-
Old 11-02-2001, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Off topic question but any plans to port your app to Palm OS

It would be very nice, no laptop needed.

thanks
Jeff
Old 11-02-2001, 06:22 PM

Not in the near future.
Old 11-02-2001, 06:46 PM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Think this works for the 2000-2001's too? They have white displays...

that are not on unless the lights are....
Old 11-02-2001, 06:48 PM

Default I don't know if it works for the old B5, I don't have one of those to try it on! :-)

Fire up VAG-COM and see what you find in Adapation Channel 19 of your Instrument cluster.
Old 11-02-2001, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default .................................................. ..................................................

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................................................
Old 11-02-2001, 07:32 PM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I would if I had my S4 (in shop for what may be blown turbos), or even my old 2k A4....

But if it's the same on the A6 (loaner), I sure will.
Old 11-02-2001, 07:44 PM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Oh come on. We talked about this... :P

Still interested......
Old 11-02-2001, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default NO :-( "Channel 19: Channel not availible"...

on my 2000. I played with other channels in Adaptation that had a stored value of "0", but no dice (at least nothing happened after I went up and down through new values). Oh well, would have been nice. Odd because I think the 99.5's DID have the face and needles always on.
Old 11-03-2001, 04:52 AM

Default Yes and No. Long Explanation:

Software:

The 2002 A4 has several of control modules that use totally new protocols. Specifically the Engine, the Tiptronic Tranny (if you have one) and the Airbags.
VAG-COM versions prior to 0.79 cannot communicate with these control modules at all. 0.79 can communicate with the engine and airbags, but the functionality is limited to showing you controller info and reading and clearing fault codes. Also, there's something strange going on with the Tiptronic and 0.79 is still not able to communicate with it. We expect to have a new version with more complete support for the new protocols shortly. The other modules like the Instruments still use the "old" protocols and are accessible as usual, execept....

Cables:

Due to the large number of control modules in some versions of the new A4, Audi split the system into two seperate busses. This is only applicable to cars with lots of options, but I am not 100% sure what the dividing line is. Our 3.0 with Xenons and Premium Package has a few controllers on the second bus, specifically the Headlight Range controller, the Radio, and the Seat/Mirror memory controller. A more basic 1.8T that I scanned in the dealer's showroom had everything on a single bus. Anyway, you do need a different cable to access any controllers on the second bus. The Audi dealers have a fancy adapter that goes between the scan-tool and the car and automatically switches to whichever bus is needed. It works fine with VAG-COM but it costs big bucks. We will be offering a special cable to access the controllers on the second bus as a low-cost (under $50) upgrade to any existing customers who need to access controllers on the second bus. The only disadvantge is you will have to make the switch manually. We're also looking the possibility of "intelligent" interface adapters that will do the switching automatically, but can't give a time-frame for this yet.

-Uwe-

Quick Reply: First VAG-COM Tweak for 2002 A4