A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Fornt end Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fornt end Clunk

HI all, weird noise coming from the front end. Happens whenever I make a minor transition...like driveway to road or on road over minor imperfections...never happens when the suspension is really worked.

Had the front suspension checked over at a dealer while in for an unrelated issue and they found nothing wrong with the front suspension or any of the mounts or bushings. Since they're in the business of raping me whenever possible and without warning I can only conclude they're either honest or incompetent.

Noise started at or near the time I did front brake pad replacement last fall. Tread wear has not been compromised, turning, stopping and traction are all normal...it just makes a little noise. You can override by turning up the stereo...there is little to no feedback through the steering wheel when the noise occurs...I think I can feel it, but it may be I'm just being hyper-sensitive.

Maybe I missed something when I did the brakes? They grab properly and straight and the clunk does not happen when I hit the brakes, only when the suspension rolls over tiny transitions. Didn't notice any issues on icy rodas this winter or anything either. I did pull the calipers apart and lubed the sliders, everything appeared to be in good condition to me, boots , pins were clean.

I'll be swapping winter for summer tires this Saturday and wanted to have my list of things to check in advance, so I don't have to take the tires off 6 times before I have it fixed.

Thnaks for any help!
Old 04-06-2009, 07:29 AM
Former Vendor

Does it go away if you keep you foot on the brake pedal?

Sometimes pads can shift ever so slightly within the carrier, and produce a discernible clunk sound.

Usually applying some anti-squeal paste to the back sides of the pads can help.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Mike makes a good point, also did you put the anti rattle clip back on the caliper after you did the brakes? I know some people that didn't put it back n because they didn't think it would be a big deal.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

I did reinstall the clip when i reassembled, but I do not recall their general condition, so its possible the one on the passenger side may have snapped. Certainly worth checking.

I can't was one way or the other if the noise goise away while the brakes are applied but it certainly easy to test. I'll check that tonight.

I definitely did not apply anti squeal paste...it wasn't included in the box the pads came in and I didn't even think of it while I had the things apart.

They were a bigger pain to get off the rotors and apart than I expected or have experienced before, but not ludicrously so...a big part of the hassle was my wife's friend's boyfriend who helped me do the job assurred me that he had a "complete set of tools". Of course that would be a complete set of SAE tools. "Oh jeeze, this thing uses metric? I don't got none of them here."

Should have stopped when he said that, but I was past the wear indicators and he has such a nice flat garage floor...so much better than working in my rocky driveway.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

When you check the brakes tonight, hit the brakes when goign over bumps, f it does not make noise then a bad anti rattle clip is probably the culprit. The only tools you need for the front brakes are a 17mm socket or wrench and a 8mm allen if I can recall rigt. Anti squeal doesn;t always come with pads, sometimes it is sold seperately in a little packet for $1 or so. Good luck