A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Found a very informative post on engine break in from the Performance Forum. :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2002, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Out of curiosity...why not on the A6?
Old 05-24-2002, 09:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife broke that one in with her ginger foot; It is an oil eater.
Old 05-24-2002, 09:46 PM

If your not consuming oil and your car revs strong and progressive, don't worry.
Old 05-24-2002, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default This is interesting.

I know most of the manual's tell you to vary your speed, but tell you to avoid full throttle take offs.

One thing I do notice is after driving in the mountain using lower gears and varying the RPM speed, the car seems to run better after that for a while. So I think the key is to vary your engine speed for those of us who are too chicken to "kill" our engines.

Shawn
Old 05-25-2002, 12:13 AM

Default hmm..i don't think i broke my engine well...it still consume oil at 8.5k on it..just put 1/2 quart..

on it.. any advise for me?
Old 05-25-2002, 05:01 AM

Hehe...understood
Old 05-25-2002, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 231 Likes on 195 Posts
Default Bogus! Look at the engine builders....all loose engine types...Audi's are tight from factory!

I have built many high-pro engines in my time and the ones listed Vette, MB, Viper, NASCAR are all very loose tollerences thus the engines don't have the heat and possibly galling associated with them. I take all my newly built GM engines right up to red line at WOT a few times afer about a 15 minute initial warm up. No oil burners after that.

The problem is the Audi engine is sooo tight from the factory that some tender loving care is need for a few K miles to let it break-in slowly, yes some owners like you will run the hell out of it and be successful, but did you ever think that you have a loose tollerance engine to begin with??

Seating the rings is a procedure of the crosshatching finish on the cylinder wall micromachining the ring edges. This is properly done by varying the rpms and the loads to press the rings into the walls, that's why synthetic is lousy for break in as micomachining is much harder to perform with slippery oil and yes I also use/recommend Penzoil for break-in.
Old 05-25-2002, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

1/2 quart in how many miles?
Old 05-25-2002, 08:11 AM

Default Sorry Bob, your name is not on the list. Be a world class engine builder before you throw rocks. :)

AMG and Porsche come factory fill with Synthetic. These use aluminum block iron sprayed liners like the 3.0 and have already been run at WOT broken in at the factory. The prior post was made from someone with an iron block Audi motor since all turbos from AG are iron block. German metallurgy is a few generations evolved beyond what Detroit is capable of. Getting a tight motor broken in faster doesn't seem to be that different from getting a loose motor a little looser faster.
Old 05-25-2002, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Jack, I' didn't say that, wasn't throwing rocks....

I was saying that Vette, MB, Porsche, Viper engines are built completely differently than the run of the mill Audi A4's. I hope you are aware that the Vette, Porsche, MB, and Viper engines have pre-stessing plates bolted to the engine blocks to simulate the head bolt down cylinder wall distortion that takes place. The block cylinder walls are then bored and honed to almost perfect roundness. They can then get away with chome rings as the seating in almost 99% at the factory.

Again I told you that I run all my small block Chevy engines WOT a few times after a 15 minute warm up....never lost one yet!

I have seen quite a few low mileage VW/Audi engines at a relative's engine building enterpise that were there for performance upgrading. The scuffed piston skirts and galled bearnings told the story....drivers hammering new very tight toleranced engines.

If your break-in link was about 1.8/2.8/3.0 engines it would then fit the situation more correctly....one must compare apples to apples. I also agree with you that german metallurgy is light years ahead of the US!

It's just strange that the Audi manual recommends a more light approach to break-in even though the engineers imply go beat it after you turn the key???

One last note for all the wasted bandwidth on this board if the Audi engines come with synthetic or not...you would think Audi would step up to the bat and say so as they read this board every day!

I'm a design engineer for a major US company that supplies components for Bosch and Siemens automotive systems(some used on the new A4), I'm going to Germany this fall and will get the answers to a lot of "guessing" on this board!

Bosch was here a few months ago and I picked their brains as to what was going to show up on VW/Audi in the next few years....you will be very surprised!

It's too bad Euro/German readers on this board haven't done so already. Do you realize how many Audi engineers and production line workers read this board and are probably told to keep their mouths shut.....or we would have had a lot of answers by now!

Quick Reply: Found a very informative post on engine break in from the Performance Forum. :)