A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Fuel Pump Failing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Pump Failing?

For the last month or so my car has this strange sound coming from the rear of the car. It has only been happening intermittently, and mostly when it's freezing out, but it sounds kinda like a rattle. That isn't very descriptive, I know, but it gets louder when I accelerate or rev the engine while standing. The only thing that comes to mind that is in the position of the sound is the fuel pump, which is original to the car. So for those of you who have had to replace your fuel pump, what were the symptoms that led up to its failure?

I haven't had any noticeable change in performance, but today it seemed to get worse on my drive up to the mountains. The car is a 2002 1.8T MT quattro and has 75K miles.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try changing fuel filter asap. If the dealer does it, they'll likely tell you if the fuel pump is damaged without paying for the finders fee.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

English?
Old 03-27-2010, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have an 04 a4 1.8t and changed my fuel pump a couple months ago around 75000 miles, the sound that I was near the back of the car and it was a moaning kind of sound and came on sometimes at first but then it was constant after a while.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

No american.

What don't you understand? Your fuel filter is overdue for a change and, if the dealer replaces it, ask the service guy to check the fuel pump.

Not changing the filter is a good way to ruin the pump.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

75K is low miles for a fuel pump problem, in my opinion. The one in my B5 went out at about 187K, no warning at all, just tach at 0 and dash lights on, at 70 MPH on the freeway. I'm not sure there really is a way to test the pump, especially if the brushes are wearing out; it could run perfectly until it quits, like mine did.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default twice replaced

Fuel pump first went out at ONLY 45K miles (thankfully it was warranteed), no symptoms other then some slight hesitation just before giving out. More recently I started experiencing the humming noise from the rear as previously described. As it became more prevelent I brought it in only to discover the fuel pump was going out... AGAIN! This time at 90K and no warranty. The dealer advised me that there were known issues with these pumps and at one time Audi had put out a recall. Expect repair costs to be near $900 (mine was anyways). After complaining that this was my second fuel pump at only 90K miles and that I had never recieved an estimate we settled on $592 (w/oil change). Funny how all the sudden $600 doesnt sound so bad, I quickly signed the invoice and was on my way. I imagine it didnt hurt that it was 10 minuets til close, pretty sure they all just wanted to go home!
Old 03-29-2010, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Forum's are hard to diagnose noises, but when I hear the term "rattle" emanating from the rear when you are at high rpm, I think exhaust. There are some attachments that can break that need to be hit with a welder (see link below). A fuel pump failing is usually indicated by what I would refer to as a "hum" or high-pitched "whine".

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2778135
Old 03-29-2010, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jwallace
Fuel pump first went out at ONLY 45K miles (thankfully it was warranteed), no symptoms other then some slight hesitation just before giving out. More recently I started experiencing the humming noise from the rear as previously described. As it became more prevelent I brought it in only to discover the fuel pump was going out... AGAIN! This time at 90K and no warranty. The dealer advised me that there were known issues with these pumps and at one time Audi had put out a recall. Expect repair costs to be near $900 (mine was anyways). After complaining that this was my second fuel pump at only 90K miles and that I had never recieved an estimate we settled on $592 (w/oil change). Funny how all the sudden $600 doesnt sound so bad, I quickly signed the invoice and was on my way. I imagine it didnt hurt that it was 10 minuets til close, pretty sure they all just wanted to go home!
Thanks for the helpful reply. It gives me some insight as to what the worse case scenario would be.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lyleswk
Forum's are hard to diagnose noises, but when I hear the term "rattle" emanating from the rear when you are at high rpm, I think exhaust. There are some attachments that can break that need to be hit with a welder (see link below). A fuel pump failing is usually indicated by what I would refer to as a "hum" or high-pitched "whine".

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2778135
Indeed, it's difficult to diagnose noises, and my other thought was that it could be an exhaust issue. I don't think that "rattle" is quite accurate, but rather somewhat of a hum with metallic undertone. What's weird is that the noise doesn't occur every time I drive the car, it comes and goes. I guess I'll have to pull out the creeper and get under the car. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Failing?