A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

For future search reference... Satellite Radio XM Commander Blitzsafe Fix

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default For future search reference... Satellite Radio XM Commander Blitzsafe Fix

OK, after much research, messing around, and trial and error (And a lot of frustration) I've finally got my satellite radio installed and working perfectly in my car with the Blitzsafe AUX input adapter. Unfortunately, the level of response I received from the Audiworld forums was completely meager, and I basically had to figure this out for myself, so the main point of this post is to ease the process for suckers like me in the future.

Basically, I already had my iPod connected to the Blitzsafe aux adapter prior to gettin the XM Commander unit. I decided to install the XM using the RCA jacks on the unit. To do so, I applied Y-adapters to the RCA inputs on the Blitzsafe, allowing me to connect (2) RCA stereo inputs (iPod and XM). I ran the RCA cables from both the XM and the iPod, and all was well, except there was a large amount of distortion with bass on the XM (iPod was fine). Let the fun begin.

I determined that the XM unit's RCA output was way too high, which was causing the distortion on bassy songs. Through some sketchy information on a forum search, I determined that a good way to fix this was to install a couple potentiometers to adjust the volume between the XM unit and the Blitzsafe, thus reducing the line level output. So, I went to Radio Shack and picked up (2) 10K Potentiometers and a small project case. I researched potentiometers online, and found that they should be installed as follows:
1. Cut the RCA cables, and strip them so the center conductor is exposed - IMPORTANT! Ensure the copper braid (shielding) around the insulator is kept intact, and connect them back with each other to maintain a constant shield.

2. On the potentiometer, there are (3) terminals. From left to right, they should be attached as follows: 1) Ground 2) RCA OUT 3) RCA IN. Simply solder the center conductors of the RCA cables onto the terminals in that fashion. Use one potentiometer for each side (L and R/White and Red).

3. This part is where I messed up. The ground connection (# 1 terminal on the potentiometer) needs to be grounded TO THE COPPER BRAID SHIELDING ON THE RCA CABLES, and NOT to the chassis of the vehicle. I made that mistake originally, and while it worked, there was HORRIBLE alternator whine and engine noise in the background of the blitzsafe. Simply run a wire from the ground terminal of each pot. to the shielding of one of the RCA cables, wrap it around and solder it on. If you don't have any shielding exposed, you can carefully strip away the rubber further down the RCA and solder it onto the braiding there. Grounding the pot's to the vehicle chassis creates a nasty ground loop.

4. Ensure all your solders are intact and strong and enclose the circuit in a small project box to protect it from grounding out. When finished, mine was a small black box with the two ***** for the pot's stickout out through one face, and the wires coming out the side (looks neat).

5. Test it. Turn on the XM and set the stereo to Blitzsafe mode. Turn the ***** on the pot. You should be able to lower and raise the volume on both channels on the stereo. Lower the volume on each channel until the bass distortion goes away (making sure the level on each channel is even, otherwise you'll have a balance problem).

6. Make sure all wires are neat and secure, tuck the new box under the dash and put everything back together.

In summary, what this creates is a small in-line volume control for each channel of the RCA outputs from the XM Commander box. By lowering the ouput volume on the XM Commander, you can easily eliminate the bass distortion, and have near-perfect sound quality. Make sure not to ground the potentiometers to the vehicle chassis, because this will cause excessive alternator whine. Instead, prevent the ground loop by grounding directly to the metal shielding of the RCA wires. Also, be careful not to leave any wires exposed, which could cause a short and ruin the components. This mod WILL leave you with dual inputs for the Blitzsafe, allowing you to run your iPod and XM Commander (or other satellite radio, i assume) through the Blitzsafe with as close to perfect sound quality as you'll find. Enjoy!

Note: I have been told that running the iPod and Satellite Radio simultaneously through this setup is a bad idea and could damage the components. While I haven't tested this (and won't be), this should probably be avoided. If necessary, you can buy an RCA switch box at Radio shack and install components that way, but for me that was just another item to install in the vehicle that I didn't want to mess around with. So be careful!