A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

FWD CVT vs. quattro

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FWD CVT vs. quattro

Hey guys- I'm looking at a 1.8T - just not sure about the FWD CVT vs. 1.8T quattro. I know the FWD CVT will perform better than even the FWD manual, with great mileage. A Car broker warned me about re-sale of the FWD CVT down the road b/c there may be limited market and higher depreciation and b/c people usually go to Audi for the quattro. Also what about maintenance on a CVT after warranty? Do you think this transmission would be expensive or cheaper to repair than the other options?
Old 10-25-2002, 06:34 AM

Default Well, long term reliability is the unanswered question

Thus far, on this board, I have seen more failures of 5 speed manual transmissions than I have of CVT's, of which Ive seen one, maybe 2?, cant remember, I think 1.
Its been in Audis since '99, and in America, dont people prefer autos meaning resale would be pretty much up there with any other car? I suppose in the US people buy audis more for quattro, but I think within a few years, opinions in the US will have shifted to be more european in terms of looking at audi, and Euopean opinions will have shifted to get more Quattros than currently.

Anyway, a tip quattro will be the most sluggish of all the options from start, cvt will pretty much be up there at the top.
If you dont push your car past 90% of its limits, the FWD is great and just as safe, its the best handling fwd car ive seen, Ive taken sharp turns at under 30 etc, and it holds perfectly, now if you really want to push the car or encounter really bad weather, then you may want to get quattro.

In the end, look at what you use the car for, and do it from there.

Resale, hmm, exactly how much did he tell you youd lose over quattro anyway?!

Im not sure what youd need to maintain the CVT over 5 or 10 years, changing the fluid? I think its all pretty much contained, the chain is designed to last, wears down a milimetre every 180,000 miles!
Old 10-25-2002, 06:51 AM

Default Re: Well, long term reliability is the unanswered question

Thanks,

I push it to about 90% although I encounter a lot of bad weather in wintertime here in Canada. I've always driven FWD here in my Integra. All seasons don't quite cut it though and I'll just get some good snows.

The car broker couldn't quantify the depreciation, and the FWD CVT 1.8T starts at only $33,600 (US$21,500) vs $38,500 for the Tiptronic and $37,500 for the manual. So its a great deal to start with. Canadian dollars - cars are cheap here.
Old 10-25-2002, 08:09 AM

Default 21,500....thats £13,850, bloody hell we cant get a 1.6 golf for that price here!!!!!!Im moving to

canada you bloody cheap car cheap fuel people!
Old 10-25-2002, 12:31 PM

Default Take into account that there will be more CVT transmissions...

...from other manufacturers on the market in the near future, and the fact that Audi makes some of the best handling FWD cars in the business, then combine that with your lower starting price, and I think resale on a money basis will be close to the quattro. As far as maintenance, Audi bet the farm on this tranny and IMO they made sure it would last before they put it on the road, as evidenced by their intensive European testing before selling in the US. I bought the CVT for its efficiency and because I live in year-round warm weather climate, and I am not concerned about the CVT reliability. I suggest driving both for extended test drives and buying the one you like more. That way you won't regret your decision long term.
Old 10-25-2002, 03:10 PM

For Canadian winters, Quattro is the way to go.
Old 10-25-2002, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Let's put to rest this LIE about CVT not having better resale...

Check into which cars get the BIG discounts. It's the manual quattros. So they start off with a BIG depreciation. Which cars don't they discount? The CVT's so you start with an inherent economic advantage you won't lose later. Example? Look at all the Fords, GMs, and Dodge/Cryslers that have rock bottomed the used car market because the incentives drive down the price.

Everyone and their dead Grandma has quattro. Don't listen to those still living in the past and get the NEW Audi - CVT!