A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Got speeding ticket today. Does anyone know if tickets from the US will transfer over to Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got speeding ticket today. Does anyone know if tickets from the US will transfer over to Canada?

Well I was driving to school (I go to school in Detroit but live in Canada) and I had to get off teh freeway and this one guy who was speeding like crazy wouldnt let me get in. My options were to either slow down and try and get squeeze in, or punch and pass him to get in. Well you can figure the rest out. I got a ticket for doing 80 in 55, and the cop wanted me to eitehr give him $100 or my license because I am an out of state driver. Well I didnt have $100 so he took my license. My question is, will it transfer over to Canada? If not ill just say my license got lost and get another one and ignore it. I just dont want my insurance to go up.
Old 10-09-2002, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: It will cost you to get a new license.///

So you might as well pay the fine. I don't think that the record for speeding will be passed on accross the border. However, if you do not pay the fine, it will catch up to you sooner or later and it gets worse as time goes on.
It is cheaper to pay the $100 now than to pay the fine later with interest and for a lawyer to get you out of jail and collecting your car after they impound it.
Old 10-09-2002, 08:11 PM

The ticket is going to be much more then $100 and its only $10 to get a new license in Canada.
Old 10-09-2002, 08:43 PM

Default I had one transfer from CA to PA. I guess there is a company

that does it for the insurance co's and reports it.
Old 10-09-2002, 09:33 PM

Default Be carefull Jeff...(more)

Some states have agreements with neighbouring provinces...I got tickets in Ny/Vt/Nh and they all transferred to Quebec.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:13 PM

thanx for teh warning, any idea how I might find out if this is the case?
Old 10-10-2002, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Most states are part of the License compact were the (long)...

points and the ticket follow you to your home state. So if I get a ticket in Ann Arbor while visiting my wife's daughter and son-in-law it follows me to New Mexico. The next time I get stopped I get to go to jail because there's probably a bench warrrant for failure to a appear. If I don't get stopped the next I go for a new Driver's license, I don't get one because of this unpaid ticket. Its best if you're from another state to pay the ticket an be done with the problem wheather or not you are really guilty. As for Canada, its another country. I know in Mexico if you skip a ticket and you get caught doing so, you get to spend time in a Mexican Jail... I don't think that would be a lot of fun.... Canada, I hope the jails are nicer.
Old 10-10-2002, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The cop took your license???

He had absolutely no business whatsoever taking your driver's license!!! None! He's an officer of the law and forced you to break the very law that he's paid to enforce and that is to carry a driver's license with you when you operate a motor vehicle.

80 in a 55, ok, fine you do deserve the ticket and he was justified in writing you that ticket. Payment on the spot or revocation of your driver's license? Both are unacceptable repercussions. You have a right to either contest it, pay it, appear in court, etc. He denied you that right.

My experience with out of state tickets has been this: Pay the ticket, and nothing will show up...provided you're not in a tri-state area (like Maryland/Virginia/DC where info is shared across the jurisdictions). I've gotten tickets in Texas, California, Pennsylvania, Colorado, and Florida, paid them all, they never showed up on my driver's license.
Old 10-10-2002, 06:28 AM

You drive and audi and can't afford $100 ticket?
Old 10-10-2002, 08:01 AM

Default Its not $100 first off. I dont care about the fine. I dont want it to transfer over because of

insurance purposes.

Quick Reply: Got speeding ticket today. Does anyone know if tickets from the US will transfer over to Canada?