A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Grinding Gears: What Will This Do To The Tranny In The Short and Run Long

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

E-mail me with your MSN or AIM and what all you looking for?
Old 04-12-2004, 08:57 AM

Could you e-mail me with your MSN or AIM? Thanks ^_^
Old 04-12-2004, 08:59 AM

Default I'll email you with details tonight.

I'm at the office now with no access to my account.

I'm basically interested in the Ultrasport front end only (front bumper and grills etc.).
Old 04-12-2004, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My AIM name is in my profile bud ) It's available to all. "Projekt 8E" for instant messenger
Old 04-12-2004, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Holy misinformed poster! If you mean the gear teeth, you're off base

No offense, but you appear to have no idea how a manual transmission works.

All gears in the transmission are meshed at all times. At no point do gears ever come out of contact with one another. In fact, all gears at all times are spinning as well.

You shift gears by moving a fork that engages a complete set of (already meshed) gears, thus changing the set connected to the engine. This is accomplished by a ring that engages teeth ("dog teeth") on the face of a gear. You get grinding when the teeth on the fork do not line up well with the teeth on the gear, which happens when the gear and fork ring are spinning at very different speeds.

Modern transmissions alleviate this problem by making the face of the gear cone shaped, with a corresponding cavity on the selector fork, so that friction will spin them to the same speed before the teeth engage. (This is called a syncromesh transmission)

So you can stop grinding by making sure you match the revs of the engine to the speed it will be turning in the new gear. If you're grinding it means you're probably trying to ram the car into the next gear on an upshift without giving it enough time to slow down, or more likely you're riding the throttle during the upshift.

The damage done would be to the dog teeth, not to the gear teeth, but it would still be $$$ to fix.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You're most likely holding your foot on the throttle when you shift

You do your pre-pubescent car-abusing start, and what's probably happening is that you keep your right foot planted when you shift. The engine revs rapidly when you put in the clutch, and when you attempt to put it into the next gear, the engine is turning much faster than it should be in the next gear (given your road speed). You push it into gear faster than the syncro can match the speed of the next gear, and you grind.

You're not really grinding gears, so it's not as bad as people here have made it sound, but it's still a clear sign of an inattentive driver who is out of his league with respect to what he's trying to do.

My advice: spend your money on driving school now instead of expensive transmission repair later.