A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

grinding when braking squeak when driving , bearing just changed still issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grinding when braking squeak when driving , bearing just changed still issue

so i just jacked up car and put all 4 wheels in air to make sure squeaking was coming from the front right wheel , where i changed bearing . it was , and i noticed the wheel wasnt spinning pefectly straight had a slight wobble to it. the old bearing broke apart when seperating from hub , and had a deep line scored down center of it. so someone mentioned that it could be a bent hub . i looked at it to see if it looked bent but didnt appear to be, but i think thats only thing that could be making wheel wobble a little when spinning . maybe since its bent its making bearing not spin right making the grinding sound when braking? idk before i spend 160 on new hub and probly another 100 on new bearing do u think this is probly a bent hub? seems faster i go the car starts to feel loose also like its heating up and giving slack. car was aligned 2 weeks ago at audi dealer and upper control arms were changed.. also the grinding sound almost sounds like a bad bushing being compressed over and over sometimes. the noises are most loud in morning when its cold out .. brakes and rotors were changed last month , def not brakes . thank you justin
Old 12-07-2010, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Sounds more like axle / half-shaft. Have you checked that for excessive play?
Old 12-07-2010, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well I thought it was the axle and I asked a mechanic and other people and they told me bearing so I lost the axle idea. The axle seems to have same amount of play as left side. U can only move it a little from driver side to passenger side. Could a bad axle end or spline cause the wheel to spin uneven when car in air? Whn it spins looks like rim is bent. I swapped rims to be sure it wasn't that. I bought car 3 month ago and rim that was on that wheel was pretty scraped up like she shlid into a curb or something. I'm thnking I may try n move that hub to other side and see if noises follow , but that's a lot of work.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Boy, we are gussing now. If it hit a curb, the whole subframe could be bent loading up supension compnents and bearing incorrectly, but I would assume if it was bent enough, you wouldn't be able to align to factory specs.

So let's start over. When do you notice the noise? When braking? Turning? Cold / hot? Slow / fast?
Old 12-07-2010, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok driving from a stop you can hear light squeak (like rotors are rubbing water shield in one spot). It sounds like it squeaks once per revolution. The faster you go the more it squeaks. It does this any temp. When braking in cold morning the light squeak goes away and you get the grinding/crunch sound. Also sounds like its hitting once per revolution. When its warmer out or after braking a lot ,the grind sound is still there just not so loud. Turning doesn't affect the grind or squeak sound it stays. It does have a slight hum on and off while driving above like 40. The squeak is so loud that u can hear with windows shut while driving 70mph. Then the grinding/crunching sound can be just as loud. When I say crunching sound best I can describe is maybe a aluminum can being squished. Also to note the hub had a light scratch on the tube where bearing goes onto. Kinda around the circle little curved. Probly from old bearing. I didn't think that would affect the bearing since outside of bearing touched that. Thank you for helping.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Stange one. Definitely something in the rotating parts. I assume the noise was there before and after the brake job, so should be able to eliminate brakes. You said there was a mark on the hub. It really sounds like the hub is bent and rubbing against something else. I think you will just have to take it apart and see if you can see where two things are rubbing.

Just trying to think out loud...
Old 12-13-2010, 05:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

10 bucks says its the backing plate (water shield as you call it).... sometimes rocks can even get stuck in there and rub against the rotor
Old 12-14-2010, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

when i changed bearing last week i had to take off that plate. didnt see anything . i ordered a bearing and hub together gonna change this week . we'll see what happens

Originally Posted by Audi Tek
10 bucks says its the backing plate (water shield as you call it).... sometimes rocks can even get stuck in there and rub against the rotor
Old 12-17-2010, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok so I changed the hub n bearing today and that fixed the noises. I got bearing and hub for 75dollars used from a junk yard on ebay. Was from a 08 a4 with 32k miles. Place called partsbyweller. They say they gaurantee part.