A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Guys with 6 puck metallo-ceramic clutch discs.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Guys with 6 puck metallo-ceramic clutch discs.....

Does your clutch ever squeak on take off? Mine has been lately (not always, but a fair bit)... never got this before with similar clutches on my other cars... works fine, but kinda weird. (I also have LWFW)
Old 06-25-2009, 11:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice looking ride! i have a FE SS and it makes a whirring type noise if you let it out slowing in a closed garage, you can hear it a little...
Old 06-26-2009, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Papachristou
nice looking ride! i have a FE SS and it makes a whirring type noise if you let it out slowing in a closed garage, you can hear it a little...
Thanks... It's not a whirring noise, its when you take off in first gear - like you stepped on a mouse... not every time, but most of the time now.... Didn't do when clutch was new.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

like a mouse? LMFAO!!! boy thats got to be a deal breaker when you try to race someone!

dude, try to shorten that sig up some! its a whole page!

i wished i had a puck clutch though, southbend sold my on the FE SS as a launching clutch but a few people have had them fuse to the flywheel when launching lately... im probably going to go to a twin disk next
Old 06-27-2009, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Papachristou
like a mouse? LMFAO!!! boy thats got to be a deal breaker when you try to race someone!

dude, try to shorten that sig up some! its a whole page!

i wished i had a puck clutch though, southbend sold my on the FE SS as a launching clutch but a few people have had them fuse to the flywheel when launching lately... im probably going to go to a twin disk next
Yeah you do NOT want a SB street clutch if you plan on launching the car. All it takes is 2+ seconds of a OFE or FE to bond itself to the flywheel, full face metal disk to metal flywheel who would figure right.

If anyone is looking to launch the car they want the South Bend DXD/DXD-F, a Clutch Masters FX400 or like you said a Clutch Masters 7.25" FX600/FX700. Maybe by the time you need one the 8.5" FX850 will have been tested and released. For most people that still drive their car on the street I would suggest the CM FX400, it is much easier to drive then most people would think. The twin plates are way more on/off so its really more of a "race" only setup.

Spinnetti - It just sounds like you might be getting some Chatter which tends to happen when trying to engage the clutch in 1st or reverse from a stop. Flywheel or pressure plate might be slightly glazed causing the sound. What brand clutch and flywheel are you using? I have been running a ceramic 6 puck for nearly 6 years now, about 3+ years on the same one and have never had the issue you are describing. I have read about plenty of other people getting it with many different clutch setups and all seem to be running a lwfw, I think they might have all been running a billet aluminum flywheel too.

Last edited by 600whpA4; 06-27-2009 at 03:05 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 600whpA4
Yeah you do NOT want a SB street clutch if you plan on launching the car. All it takes is 2+ seconds of a OFE or FE to bond itself to the flywheel, full face metal disk to metal flywheel who would figure right.

If anyone is looking to launch the car they want the South Bend DXD/DXD-F, a Clutch Masters FX400 or like you said a Clutch Masters 7.25" FX600/FX700. Maybe by the time you need one the 8.5" FX850 will have been tested and released. For most people that still drive their car on the street I would suggest the CM FX400, it is much easier to drive then most people would think. The twin plates are way more on/off so its really more of a "race" only setup.

Spinnetti - It just sounds like you might be getting some Chatter which tends to happen when trying to engage the clutch in 1st or reverse from a stop. Flywheel or pressure plate might be slightly glazed causing the sound. What brand clutch and flywheel are you using? I have been running a ceramic 6 puck for nearly 6 years now, about 3+ years on the same one and have never had the issue you are describing. I have read about plenty of other people getting it with many different clutch setups and all seem to be running a lwfw, I think they might have all been running a billet aluminum flywheel too.
Chatter is something different that this - Sure I get chatter in first very often as I take off, and gear rattle in neutral if the AC is on. Some times I get away clean, some times it chatters, and some times I get the squeak. I have a billet steel LWFW (Spec). Unfortunately, I decided to run a stock pressure plate. (you probably already know, but as you reduce the surface area of the disc, the plate loading goes up proportionately even though the actual spring rate hasn't changed - simple physics. Problem is, that wasn't enough for the torque the engine produces, and I thought it would be). The disc it self was made by a professional clutch shop. Turns out there are only a couple places that make the stamping, clutch buttons etc, so I'm sure my buttons are the same as everybody else's (this guy has done a bunch of clutches for me). You are probably right that its just a bit of glaze and the disc is just squeaking on the pressure plate and/or flywheel. Just wondering if anybody else ever got that. It doesn't trouble me that much, but the LWFW did turn out to be a waste overall since the drive by wire prevents the engine from freely revving up and down like a conventional throttle would (thus not speeding the shifts at all). I haven't dyno'd my car, but the clutch is not enough to take max torque or a drop throttle launch (not like I would beat on my car that way anyway).
Old 06-29-2009, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

ps, mine looks just like this - buttons are exactly the same.

http://www.034motorsport.com/oscthum...ERIESDZD-B.jpg
Old 06-29-2009, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah just about every 6 puck with ceramic buttons are going to look like that.

I have seen others post about that same squeak you are getting. I just haven't had that issue personally with any of my WOA clutch kits I have had on my own car.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 600whpA4
Yeah just about every 6 puck with ceramic buttons are going to look like that.

I have seen others post about that same squeak you are getting. I just haven't had that issue personally with any of my WOA clutch kits I have had on my own car.
Oh, ok then.. just wondering if anybody else ever got it.

Thanks.