A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

had to change a flat today....hate to complain but what a pain in the ass!.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default had to change a flat today....hate to complain but what a pain in the ***!.....

first the jack is way to flimsy. my tool kit didn't have a plastic puller for the lug bolt caps so I had to dig them out with a screw driver. then I had to actually stand on the wheel bolt wrench to break the bolts free ( no worrys about loose bolts). all this is no big deal until I tried to take the wheel off the hub. wouldn't budge so I let the POS jack down enough to put some weight on the tire and rocked the car side to side slightly. luckily the jack didn't buckle but I was worried. this loosened the wheel a bit so after some more wiggling and cussin I managed to get it off. to my suprise, there was rust between the wheel and the hub(both aluminum???) I only have 15000 mi. and live in FL. so it's not like its road salt related. at least audi provides a full spare and matching wheel, but that jack is scary and dangerous! I would much prefer the hubs had proper studs. oh well, I guess that wouldn't be superior engineering
Old 12-25-2003, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ha, funny jack story...

i jacked up my car in the garage the other night to fix the wheel-well liner which had been pulled off by snow. well, being an idiot, i was jacking up the back wheel without the parking brake on (no flames, i was being a moron, i admit it). luckily i had left the car in gear, so it only rolled a couple inches, but those couple inches managed to bend that jack pretty severely. all i did was lower the car back down on the wheels, re-position the jack, and hoist it back up again... worked like a charm. restraightened the jack back to normal, and it held up fine. however, its stories like this that make me a little nervous about some of the audi supplied equipment!
Old 12-25-2003, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default yea, roadside laughed at my jack, then used thier own. I want the one they use.

that thing is air powered, lifts the car in 5 seconds.
Old 12-25-2003, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

haha "funny jack story"......sorrylol
Old 12-25-2003, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default $10 portable 12v pump nearly eliminates need for jacking.Pull a nail & plug it right on the car

On the front, it's a lil easier because you can turn the wheel and reveal any nail or screw type objects. With your handy needle-nose pliers, pull the nail, ream the hole with the tool from the repair kit,(a drill works better) shove the plug in, pump it up and drive away in <5 minutes. It is safer and you don't have to go looking for flat repair. I admit that I don't carry my kit around, but I do carry my pump and would decide if I wanted a patch or plug or just pump it up, rarely would the spare go on. Get a floorjack, people, less $ then a tire rotation and diy. The adapter from Sears that allows a screwgun chuck to drive a 3/8 inch socket is nice to have, look like a pro $3. A build-your-own breaker bar is worth doing, a 1/2" hinged-drive bar and a 17mm deep 1/2" socket. AutoZone has Great Neck, about $15 for the set-up. Tire service is easy if you have this stuff.
Old 12-25-2003, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My factory jack-o-death punched a hole in my B5 because the car shifted...

...thank God the tire wasnt off yet - but it was a pretty sick feeling watching the jack pierce the body like a can opener. Factory jacks are pure crap, and dangerous to boot.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:15 PM

Default Hey MacGyver, nice ideas but remember.....

*most* people here are either too lazy or just lack the necessary mechanical skills to plug their own tire.

Ive always thought about putting together a kit like that myself but after thinking about its just faster to swap with the spare and plug it up when I get home.
Old 12-25-2003, 11:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default and the rest drive too fast / track their cars to risk a plugged tire...

or use that as an excuse b/c their lazy
Old 12-26-2003, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe peole are lazy and have no skills, but at least now they have the concept.
Old 12-26-2003, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default It's best to 'break' the bolts _before_ jacking the car. Then,....

if you suspect the wheel is 'frozen' to the hub, drive the car a very short distance and suddenly apply the brakes. This should break the wheel free from the hub. Now, you are OK to jack the car.