A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

This has come up before...key won't turn in the ignition!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 10:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say its one of 2 things. Firstly, it has nothing to do with the chip. The chip is for the immobilizer, without a chip your key will always turn and the engine will crank it will just never start, best case scenario it would go into valet mode if you have that programmed, however I dont think Audi or VW had those options available. If you newer 'sharp' key works its a sign of worn out wafers in the lock cylinder or a worn out key that has basically ground itself into a new key code on one of the wafers. Sliding metal on metal with sharp edges or corners tends to do that. Using a little wd40 in the cylinder will help clean the **** out that has travelled from your pockets but for a permanent fix you need the cylinder re keyed, which any decent vehicle locksmith should be able to do (by decent I mean they will actually rekey it and not just swap it with a new expensive one, VW cylinders have a secret pin that needs to be drilled and I think Audis do aswell). in addition you can get a new blade cut off your newer key and a good amount of buffing on the blade and even the wafers before theyre installed will make this cylinder last for a long time.