A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

having a humming noise comming from a fuel filter I think.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default having a humming noise comming from a fuel filter I think.

Just recently i started hearing this anyoing humming noise it would come and go away every few mins. I looked under the car on passenger side right by where the fuel tank is and noticed what i think is the fuel fillter where the sound came from... Im just wondering is this a fuel filter or am i wrong. its right under the fuel tank pasender side in the back. And why is it making the humming noise any one ran accros this problem?
Old 04-29-2011, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

The filter has no moving parts, but the pump does which is lcoated basically just above the filter. However, the filter being dirty could cause the filter to work harder and make the noise you are talking about. My recommendation is get the filter replaced or DIY. Connectors are a little tricky, but other than that it is very straight forward.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...uel+filter+diy
Old 04-29-2011, 07:22 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We have fuel filters available below for your DIY.

Click HERE to order or for more information.

Let me know if you need help figuring out which to order since there is a VIN split.

Jason
Old 04-30-2011, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The same thing happened to me recently. Changing the filter eliminated the noise.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ritz
The same thing happened to me recently. Changing the filter eliminated the noise.
k thanks ya ill get that replaced asap than. and Jason Ill send you the vin number of my car can you get the order for me, I can pay with paypal.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maxapak
k thanks ya ill get that replaced asap than. and Jason Ill send you the vin number of my car can you get the order for me, I can pay with paypal.
be sure you do... if you wait, it can end up making the fuel pump go.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jordonb
be sure you do... if you wait, it can end up making the fuel pump go.
That is exactly right. Our fuel pumps are somewhat fragile to begin with. Having it struggle to push fuel through a restricted filter will definitely shorten its life. I may just pre-emptively replace mine over the summer when I've got a little extra time.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just recently i started hearing this anyoing humming noise it would come and go away every few mins. I looked under the car on passenger side right by where the fuel tank is and noticed what i think is the fuel fillter where the sound came from... Im just wondering is this a fuel filter or am i wrong. its right under the fuel tank pasender side in the back. And why is it making the humming noise any one ran accros this problem?
Hey I have the same problem I just noticed about 5 minutes ago. Except when I checked to see where the sound was coming from it came from where the cat converter is or maybe right there by the gas tank on passenger side, but this sound was more f a high pitched whistle, could this be a failing cat or what?
Old 05-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey I have the same problem I just noticed about 5 minutes ago. Except when I checked to see where the sound was coming from it came from where the cat converter is or maybe right there by the gas tank on passenger side, but this sound was more f a high pitched whistle, could this be a failing cat or what? Also when in park the RPMS jump up and down but stay below the one
Old 05-04-2011, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

The cat is under the hood. I suspect you are talking about the muffler / resonator near the rear passenger wheel. Anyway, that is most likely fuel pump whining. Change your filter and run for a while to see if it goes away. Link to a DIY for the filter are below.