A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

headlight adjustment - '05 oem xenons - which adjustment screw does what?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight adjustment - '05 oem xenons - which adjustment screw does what?

Are the low beam and high beams independently adjustable? What do the inner and outer adjustment screws do? My outer screw appears to adjust vertically? I am not sure what the inner screw does.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 296 Likes on 239 Posts
Default It's a single adjustment for both high & low beams.

Look at the beam pattern against a wall. One of the screws moves the pattern left/right. The other moves the beam up/down. I remember reading somewhere that both screws should be adjusted for fine tuning the vertical (up/down) adjustment but can't find the link now.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My problem is a slightly 'off' right headlight. Or so it seems. I parked facing a wall and took these shots:

It was dark, rainy, and I was using my camera on my phone so the pictures aren't perfect. However, it looks to me like the right headlight is out. Do you agree? If so, how do I go about adjusting them? I already went in with the Vag Com and raised them a bit to give me better visibility.

I know that there are two screws for adjusting the headlight angle, but I don't know which is which. My guess is that the horizontal screw (see first image below) that has its head facing the front of the car (right above the middle of the headlight) controls the up/down adjustment. Is that right?

How should I go about getting these setup right? I don't know for sure which one is 'off' so I don't want to use the wrong one as my baseline.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by audi_buff; 01-01-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Actually I think your lights are properly aligned as they are. Your left should throw further down the road and your right should give more visibility to the curb/shoulder of the road. If you go to countries with the right-hand drive you would see the opposite pattern.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Looks to me like you just need to adjust the horizontal, black screws on the front of the lights. I imported my Audi back to Germany and had to change out my bixenons for e-codes and I did the adjustment myself. Set them so the screw adjustment is the same for both (should be very close to fully screwed in) and then the leveling motors take care of the rest.

When correctly adjusted you should have a level cutoff of light until you get to the passenger side where it should bend up. The driver side is lower so that you don't blind oncoming traffic. Your current beam pattern is definitely out of alignment.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Now I have someone saying it's good and another saying it's definitely out of alignment. Forgive me if I'm confused...

You also mention 'both' horizontal screws on the front. I only see one. Where is this second one?
Old 01-04-2010, 01:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by audi_buff
Now I have someone saying it's good and another saying it's definitely out of alignment. Forgive me if I'm confused...

You also mention 'both' horizontal screws on the front. I only see one. Where is this second one?
There is one on each headlight. The black screw near the edge.

There is no question that your headlight pattern is out of whack.

The pattern is supposed to have a level cutoff starting at the left and going right. When you get to the passenger side there is supposed to be a "step" up in the light pattern.

Should look something like this:

/------------
-------------/
Old 01-04-2010, 01:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by chris12
There is one on each headlight. The black screw near the edge.

There is no question that your headlight pattern is out of whack.

The pattern is supposed to have a level cutoff starting at the left and going right. When you get to the passenger side there is supposed to be a "step" up in the light pattern.

Should look something like this:

/------------
-------------/
I'm new here and I can't figure out how to edit my previous post. Disregard the drawing of the pattern, the formatting didn't work right.

Just read the written description.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I turned the headlights on, popped the hood, and used a T30 torx bit to adjust the horizontal screw. The difference it makes is negligible. Moving it all the way out, then all the way in showed me an adjustment of about 1/4inch at most. No way I can correct my issue with just that little screw. I also put my headlights back at 00060 (had changed them to 00020) after comparing them to other cars and seeing they were too high.

For the first time ever, when I turned them on they did the cool up/down adjustment before focusing. I like that. Never done that before. However, they're still out of whack. I don't see any other adjustment mechanisms. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.