A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

HELP: Audi a4 B6 1.8t stumbles randomly

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: Audi a4 B6 1.8t stumbles randomly

Hey guys so here is my problem:

So randomly my 2002 Audi A4 1.8t with 203K kms on it will stumble while driving. When it stumbles it will die down to 2000rpm and just stick there. When I pump my gas peddle it doesnt change anything, it just rolls and hope to god I am not going up a hill or across a busy highway. When the engine dies down to 2000rpms it doesnt feel like its running rough but just feels like it has lost power. Also yesterday when I was in a parking lot I had something new happen that I had not experienced before: When I started the car it fired right away and went to 1100 and immediately died out.... After three or four tries it worked.

Recent work that would be applicable to this problem:

New MAF
New fuel filter
New fuel pump (yesterday)
New spark plugs (yes, gauged to .032)
New air filter

Attached are my Vag-Com diagnostic results

Any help or thoughts are much appreciated as I am quite baffled about this!

Many thanks
Luke
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Audi July 15, 2012.pdf (109.1 KB, 237 views)
Old 07-17-2012, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey also I just wanted to add that when it stumbles it lasts for like 10 seconds and then goes back to normal and I continue driving
Old 07-17-2012, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Hi, welcome "Dundahead"!

I had a problem on my 98 1.8T at about 50k miles which had similar symptoms, turned out to be the Ignition Control Module (ICM). Huco brand is reputed to be superior to OEM (and is in fact OEM on some cars I think) and the Huco is cheaper too. About $100 for the AEB engine on my '98 Passat. Does the CEL come on and/or flash?

I don't know how to interpret the VCDS scan well yet, but I'm sure someone who does will help you out; everyone appreciates when people post them.

-Tom

PS Fill in your profile and location!
Old 07-17-2012, 11:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey Tom!

Thanks for your thoughts! The CEL is coming on once in a while with P0172 (System rich bank 1). When the car stumbles the ESP light will come on and then will proceed to turn off once the problem "fixes its self" temporarily.

Does this sound like what was happening with your A4?

Many thanks!
Luke
Old 07-18-2012, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts
Default More thoughts...

Originally Posted by dundahead
...The CEL is coming on once in a while with P0172 (System rich bank 1). When the car stumbles the ESP light will come on and then will proceed to turn off once the problem "fixes its self" temporarily...
After you store a scan in the VCDS I think you should clear the codes (using the VCDS) and see what reappears. Many codes marked "Intermittent" are normal sensor readings that don't make sense to the ECU.

How many miles on the car?

You may have two discrete problems, one with the traction control/abs, and another with ignition; however remember that the traction control can reduce engine power if it senses a large discrepancy in what the tires are doing compared to what it thinks they should be doing.

Did these symptoms appear right after you did the work?
If so, it points to a bad connection or broken wire, or even a defective part perhaps.

Some 1.8T (and other coil-on-plug engines) had some issues with the coil grounding IIRC, you may want to check the coil placement. I found the coils are sometimes hard to install without some plug boot grease to let the boots seat correctly on the plugs. Honestly, though, I can't recall which car I have worked on that it happened on since I have been using the silicone boot lube for years since it first happened.

You may want to invest in a new ICM since they do wear out and that leaves you stranded. If I had more $$ and fewer friends, I'd keep one in my trunk toolbox!

I assume you have done some searching on here , I hae not searched for solutions to your prob.
Good luck and keep us "posted".