A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

HELP, Car won't Start/ crank!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 09:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP, Car won't Start/ crank!

I have a 2003 A4 Avant 3.0L Quattro, automatic.

Now here's my issue, my car wont start, won't crank at all.

At first I thought it was a battery issue, but my security system still worked, the doors still unlocked/locked by remote, and all the dome lights dashlights when ya open the doors turned on and are as bright as normal. But either way I thought maybe it just didnt have enough juice to crank over. So I charged up the battery and still no luck.

So here's what I noticed after I put the battery back in.
It seems like the key isnt turning far enough to the start position. The steering wheel is not turned or locked while im trying to start it.

I also noticed that I can not put the car in neutral or any other gear, that its kinda locked in park? I cant imagine the car has to be running for me to be able to move it into neutral right. Im not being dumb, I am pressing the brake but it still wont shift.

Is it possible that somehow when i parked my car it didnt engage into "park" and is still in a gear which is making it not start?
Maybe it's the starter? But that wouldn't explain why it wont move to neutral.

No weird noises or warning lights before this happened either, just went to start it one day after driving for a few hours in traffic and this is what i get.

Anybody got any suggestions?
Old 06-17-2013, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Sounds Like you may have 2 problems, but we will start with one first. Does the immobilizer light come on when you turn the key on? It is a yellow car with a key in it on your dash.

Second, have you tried to jiggle the the wheel and turn the key?

Last edited by lyleswk; 06-17-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nope no immobilizer light, already tried the jiggling the steering wheel thing a long time ago. Kinda gave up on it but yesterday morning I figured I'd just try it out again before I went to work and what ya know no issue started right up. Drove it to work, drove it around, got it home and no issues; now will it start tomorrow morning who knows
Old 06-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So for the past few days I haven't had any issues. I went to work and it started up with no issues, no check engine lights, no problems.

Until yesterday afternoon. Still started up fine but the check engine light was on now. And its being a pain in the *** pulling it out of park and into drive, as well as drive to reverse(yes I have my foot on the brake all the way)
The only thing that has changed was that on Wednesday,Thursday, and yesterday morning it was rainy and cool out. And since yesterday afternoon it's been sunny and warm out. Maybe this is some sort of shifting sensor that's malfunctioning?
Old 06-24-2013, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

If you are getting a CEL, then download the codes using a VAG tool. If you had a 1.8, I would say ESS. Not sure if the 3.0 has the same sensor.