A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Hey guys, I dont know anything about A4s, I own an A6,but I have a question.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2nd on that, you beat me to it. ...

For further evidence that orientation of hardware is irrelevant, consider the Euro A4 with the BEX engine, at 190+ PS. While that setup uses two intercoolers and a different turbo PN, the main difference is the ECU calibration.
(I have been planning on trying a "BEX" reflash to a spare ECU I have, should be a nice tune.)
Old 02-07-2007, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the turbo PN is not the only difference...

there is a difference between the turbo too. the 190hp turbo uses a larger compressor wheel with further advanced KKK extended tip technology and it flows more air than the US K03s. in fact...k03s is a US term that KKK would say actually applied to the turbo used in the motor you describe. that compressor wheel is actually both larger than and more efficient than the wheel you find on the k04-15 we use as an upgrade.

im not denying the ULEV and LEV claims made here by any means...but do not think that the turbo is the same, because it is not. the extended tip technology allows for that extra HP potential with far less lag then we see on a stock AMB motor.

i have independantly verified the PNs with KKK for the euro s-line 190hp turbo when evaluating the idea of building a hybrid k04-15 turbo retrofitted with that wheel as a replacement for the k04-15 compressor wheel, which is actually smaller. in the end the cost to have KKK produce such a turbo (which they will do) or risking a grenade by having an independant shop build it did not fit my budget. mind you, the casting sizes on the US k03, k03s, and k04-15 are the same. the difference is inlet size, outlet size, journal bearing, and wheel size/design to fit accordingly.

on a side note i would be hesitant to use said software in your ECU. it is tuned for a different turbo. your saving grace will be that your fueling remains the same as stock, and that the turbo, at the end of the day, really does not have much more potential than the US k03s as it stands.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks for adding that interesting info....

Yes, I know the BEX compressor is different, but I did not know the specifics, the increased efficiency with more mass flow is important for higher engine output. While the K-03 may not achieve the efficiency of the BEX unit, I believe the BEX boost regulation should be able to accommodate the difference in the turbos.
What information do you have regarding the BEX turbo specifications that provides for faster boost pressure development (less lag,) compared to the AMB K-03? Is the BEX turbine wheel/housing the same as a K-03 or K-04?
BTW, I think a Garrett GT2554 used with the ATP K-03 Eliminator Garrett turbine housing that fits the OEM stock K-03 exhaust manifold, will be a superior setup used with the BEX ECU calibration. The Garrett dual ball bearing turbo will spool quicker than the KKK BEX turbo as well.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the BEX turbo is exactly the same on the hot side as our k03s...

it is only the compressor which is different. the k04-15 journal bearing is added as well for strength. i agree the BEX boost regulation should be just fine. one of the major gain factors in the k04-15 is actually its increase in turbine size, not its increase of compressor size. exhaust flow through the k03-anything is the most restrictive point...PSIs can double on the exhaust side versus the compressor side on a k03, not great. the reason i wanted to build that turbo is the newer, more advanced design of the BEX k03 compressor versus that of the k04-15....which chronologically is the oldest design between the old 1.8 k03, the US k03s, and the BEX k03. the k04-15 debued (sp) as the original turbo when a 240hp test version of the 1.8t was being tested at VAG. my understanding is that this motor was being developed approxomately the same time as the 2.7t bi-turbo...which was dreadfully behind schedule....so the 240hp 1.8t was ditched for the 250hp 2.7t since the two were so close HP wise. the 1.8 went on to a poopy intro at 150hp and used the k03...and then the 2.7t was suped up for the rs4 and that was that until the BEX motor came to be in the euro s-line a4 with its own turbo.

so...k04 is actually the oldest in that line of turbos (and also has the most varients of any KKK turbo currently in production).

are you talking about the GT2X turbo from ATP? i think that is a fine turbo...and if you can find software to actually make it run well (ala not Mika) id say go for it. if the turbo works and A/F, inj load, EGT, timing, and otherwise are heanthy on that software...you could always go to an MBC/EBC and probobly squeak quite a bit more boost out safely...the only hangup IMO at that point being fueling...you may actually may be able to run that turbo nicely on k04 software and injectors...since the 2x more closely resembles that (and if that isnt the turbo you are speaking of...please disregard the above stuff...lol).

lastly...ill have to try and dig those efficiency maps out of my tuner...he got them emailed directly from KKK (not that they are any kind of secret) and im not sure if they were emailed or posted...i only saw the printed version after the fact so ill try and dig those up for ya!

-Ted