A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Hi all, Can anyone assist with feedback on a used car purchase? yes its a B5, I know, but this is my

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 05:17 AM
B56
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hi all, Can anyone assist with feedback on a used car purchase? yes its a B5, I know, but this is my

forum and we help each other, right?

TIA<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4/threads/885676.phtml#2728931">https://forums.audiworld.com/a4/threads/885676.phtml#2728931</a</li></ul>
Old 08-30-2007, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what the hell is this all about?

you getting as sick with your car as i am? call me this weekend, i am trying to do up the beach sunday.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:53 AM
B56
AudiWorld Senior Member

Relax, its for my fiance. My 1.8t is the suck right now
Old 08-30-2007, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

personally I think that's a bit high for a B5
Old 08-30-2007, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

I agree. That's way too high. Should be around 8-9K I think.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default and mine doesnt? we both have the same issue. we need to figure this out..

because we have the same exact setups and the same exact problem. you really dont think its in the software? i am all out of options. did you ever check out your wastegate?
Old 08-30-2007, 07:12 AM
B56
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I dont think its the software because the car ran fine for a while, a brief while...

I feel as if my turbo isnt spooling. At 3k rpm if i go wot it will boost but it feels tired and very laggy. The only time the car feels ok is under boost at about 4k. If i let of the gas slightly, i loose all boost and it takes forever to get it back. too much lag. My low end shot. If i go wot at like 2500 i get shudders and we both know its not the clutch.

I mentioned this earlier but when i installed my turbo, i noticed the wastegate was slightly open. I did not know at the time that this was bad. However I have changed my testpipe and cat a few times and even unbolted the cat once to feel the WG inside to see if it was open. Every time i did this it felt like it was sealed shut. So i don't know.

I thought it was maybe my maf, but i ran 3rd gear wot logs and my maf peaks at like 180 grams which is normal, so that leads me to believe that it is ok. I even cleaned it and I get the same results.

Maybe its a boost or vaccuum leak. I need to hook up a boost guage to see. I used to have one installed but the rattle of the awe guage and the rediculous mounting postion forced me to take it out-my opinion. BUt when i had it installed and the car was idling, I would suck about 20 hgs in vaccum which is normal. However, if i reved the engine in nuetral the vaccum would to 5 hgs. I thought that when you revved in nuetral, hgs should be 0 and boost should be 0. So i think this has something to do with a leak or the wastegate. Go out to your and check this out for me to see if you have the same problem.

I ran boost logs, quite a few and for the most part my boost is hitting requested and it holds it too. Despite the lag of course.

I want to take off the turbo and tighten the WG actuator rod however, I dont want to do this if if that wont fix the problem.

I think my turbo is just shot cause my WG isnt closing and its overspooling to hit requested boost. As a result the turbo is running way too hot, raising my IATs and EGT causing poor performance. I also think that by now after 20k on this turbo that its been overspooling so long that the bearings are probably hurting also.

I also feel that this revo software is probably aggressive for a small turbo like this so that doesnt help either.

So now i dont know if i should:

1) bite it and buy a new k04 for 800-900

2) Upgrade to eliminator for 2000

3) risk it and try to unbolt turbo and tighten wastegate and not have to spend money.

Go check your vaccum for me at idle and rev the motor and see what you hit for vaccum then.

What do you think about this. Are you having the same problems? What are the chances that both our WG's are open or not closing?
Old 08-30-2007, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

You vacuum levels at idle are normal. If I rev up my car in neutral is hits -5 max. Never hits 0.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:26 AM
B56
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ok, so that eliminates thats. Thank you
Old 08-30-2007, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default np. when was the last time you've checked your coilpacks?

I've had the same problem - lack of low end tq and "boost that feels tired and very laggy". Turned out to be a failing coilpack (there were no codes or anything). I've replaced all 4 and the problem dissapeared.

Another question, how old are your spark plugs?

Quick Reply: Hi all, Can anyone assist with feedback on a used car purchase? yes its a B5, I know, but this is my