A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Honk at startup?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honk at startup?

I have a feeling this is my fuel filter starting to go bad but Im not sure. This doesnt happen every start but definitely at cold start I get a honk-like sound. It sounds like its coming from the back but Im not certain from inside the car. There is no hum/noise from the fuel filter at all after startup (checked both inside and out) and on the road. Any ideas? I have a fuel filter here already, might just need to suck it up and play with some gas this weekend.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default How many miles on the filter. I had mine replaced at 63K and it looked pretty bad when it

came off the car.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:43 AM

Default I have to look, previous owner had an issue with the fuel tank and they replaced the fuel pump

not sure about the fuel filter. If its original, its on 75k and I should just get at it this weekend or maybe one morning this week.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm pretty sure the beeping from the back is related to the alarm

Others have reported that random beeps on startup are alarm-related. I dunno, I've not heard them.

75K? It's time to replace your fuel filter just for good measure.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:59 AM

Its more of an air honk then a electric honk.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ya got me. But I really doubt if there is a mechanism built in to warn you

if your fuel filter is clogged.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Filter replacement is due regardless, but if the car starts and runs well,

it suggests the filter isn't excessively restrictive from dirt. The filter contains the fuel pressure regulator, consisting of a spring loaded valve disk covering a flow path back to the fuel tank for excess fuel. It may be that fuel return valve disk is bouncing rapidly and causing the honking sound.
How loud is the noise and how long does it continue?
Have someone start the car while you hold onto the filter. If the regulator is the noise source, you will feel the vibration in the filter.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:15 AM

Default Yeah car starts and runs great, honks once and then gone

I'll have someone start it while I hold it and see if thats the case. Either way I'll try to get to the fuel filter this weekend.

I think Im more worried about the fuel filter swap then I was doing anything else to the car, I hate playing with gas. Someone tell me Im being paranoid and as long as Im careful Im worrying about nothing.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:49 AM
jwj
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I replaced fuel filter around 60k. Don't believe filter should be ignored

no matter what Audi says.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default You will be OK, just do the job with safety goggles, and a fan blowing for ventilation....

Use a pan under the filter area, have plenty of rags on hand. I recommend you fully understand how to disengage the fuel line clips on the filter BEFORE you begin the replacement task. If needed, you can ask the dealer's service dept. shop foreman to explain this to you and or refer to the shop manual instructions. The clip looks simple, and is, but if improperly forced to disengage, it is easily damaged.
BTW, your concerns working with gasoline, is not paranoid thinking. Apply the proper safety rules, insure no ignition sources are exposed to gas vapors, use lots of ventilation and protective clothing, Have a fire extinguisher nearby. If the all the safety rules are followed, handling gasoline is not a problem.

Quick Reply: Honk at startup?