A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

How bad is it to have only 4 threads catching on my wheel bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How bad is it to have only 4 threads catching on my wheel bolts?

My jline wheels came to me with 27mm bolts, the wheels wouldn't fit over the stoptechs so I got 5mm spacers. Stoptech doesn't mention that their kit adds 2-3mm. I have 33mm bolts on the ride currently, and I figured that would be enough. Wrong, only 4 threads are catching. At highway speed I also feel a little wobbling from the wheels, so I figure I shouldn't drive it till I put the new bolts in to see how it feels. It's wierd, but either the Jlines add more mm to the equation or something. But nothing adds up for the 33mm bolts I have in now to not work.

I ordered 41mm bolts for the fronts today from Mike@purems, so I guess we'll see if this works better. Just thought I would rant, and see if anyone else has opinions out there on if it's dangerous to drive the car with only 4 threads catching.

Peace
Jordan
Old 08-15-2005, 08:56 AM
Elder Member

Default i've forgotten the specs, but the bolts should be in a certain depth. i'd be a bit uneasy.

can you run your old wheels until the new bolts arrive?
Old 08-15-2005, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I was once told you need to at least have 5 full rotations on the bolt for it to be safe.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yeah, just put them on
Old 08-15-2005, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default search on it. I asked before and it was something like 4 to 5 can't remember.

Ask purems. I believe they are the ones that answer me.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

7 complete turns. Seems like going from 33 to 41 would be too much.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 41 will probably be too long :(

5-6 turns is where you want to be. Much longer than that and you will hit the inner bits of the hub.

If you have one of each type of wheel off the car and put the bolts through the wheels, is the amount sticking out different by a lot? 26mm is stock, so 27mm might have been too short for the wheels anyways?

ECS has 35mm and 40mm bolts, they may be close to what you need. The 35mm specifically.

5mm spacers will probably add some vibration as well since they aren't hubcentric so that might be what you are feeling.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Just had a thought...

What you should do is take one of the wheels, put the bolt in place, then lay the spacer on there, and see how much comes thru. I checked with the the guys that do my wheels and he said you should see at least 5 threads exposed on the bolt when you push it into the seat.
Your wobbling could be any number of things: bad balancing, a defective tire, a bad rim (yes, new rims do come bent once in a while especially I-Forged), or the spacer itself. Spacers are notorious for causing vibrations.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Well, looking at the inner hub...it seems you can have bolts that go another 1/2" past where the....

threads stop. I actually grabbed some clay and stuck it on the end of the 35mm bolt to make it seem as long as a 41mm bolt. I then screwed it all the way in without the wheel on, and spun the wheel a couple times. I then took it out and the clay was still in the position I put it in. So it seems that you can actually put a lot longer bolts in there if you want. Take a look at yours, I swear you can.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I did take one of the bolts an actually measured where it's sitting. Only 4 threads are gripping...

so I know it's not good.

Only my 2 fronts are vibrating. I have the H&R track + spacers on all four, but my rears are fine. One of the front tires is brand new, and they are S03's. I would hope that the 2 fronts wouldn't have been sent brand new custom ordered to me bent . Maybe it is just the front spacers.....I don't really know right now. I put my stock 17's on for the time being, w/o any spacers on. I'll go drive it around tonight, and if the vibration is gone, I can cut it down to what's causing the vibration.

Can improper seating of the bolt in the wheel, or if the threads seem to fit loosely together cause vibration?

Thanks

Quick Reply: How bad is it to have only 4 threads catching on my wheel bolts?