A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

How to Park your beloved Audi during a storm... Long

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Park your beloved Audi during a storm... Long

First of all, we made it just fine down here in North Dade County, some got slammed in Broward and West Palm, hope you guys get back to normal soon!

Here are some good tips for parking your car in a "safe" place when you don't own a garage:

- First make sure you get a full tank of gas.

- Study the wind angles of the Hurricane headed your way, for example if the wind is coming from the North, park you car parallel to your house with car's nose East to West. The closer you get your car to the structure the better, but make sure you don't park on swales, dry wells, or any other area where water will pour off the roof. The best place is parallel to a garage full of "other" people's garage, my case.

- Try to use other cars to shield your car, again study the wind angles.

- Leave your car at the Airport parking garage or if Daddy is a Dr. leave the car in his spot at the local Hospital where he sees his patients, make sure you have his decal, or you might get towed. Or for that matter, ANY parking garage you can park in helps!

- Rent a large storage place where you can park car, (friends have done this with relative success)

- Try to park your car in a neighborhood with relatively new homes, the new Florida Building Code requires roof tiles to be cemented down MUCH better than in the past, gutters, and flashing must also have Product Approvals to withstand 140MPH winds. This will minimize wind borne debris impacting your car.

- Look around where you'll be parking your car, TREES, MAIL BOXES, LOOSE LANDSCAPING ROCKS, ETC. All of these things call do some serious damage if the wind picks them up.

- Trees

- Trees

-Flooding, big problem! Goes without saying but easily forgotten, specially if you've never been through a "wet" hurricane.

- Do not tape windows, believe it or not I've seen this here in Dade County, an act of abject stupidity.

- Car cover, are you kidding me? Even with duck tape this is also an act of egregious stupidity.

- BEWARE OF NAILS ON THE ROAD after the storm!!!!!!!!!!!! When tar paper and shingles fly off roofs nails go a flying! Nails are not your friends...

- For God's sake, if you have a friend who has a garage, park in it!

Hope this helps those people who have no clue as to what to expect during a Hurricane you know who you are; the same people who ask how do I touch up scatches, what is that flap above the rear view mirror or even better those who ask what the rear fog light is for, this post is for you!!!!!!!! :-)
Old 09-06-2004, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

LOL...my car spent the weekend in a garage at 15feet elevation while i was in my home at the ocean.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:48 PM

Re: LOL? Aren't you special...
Old 09-06-2004, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hey, I figured the hurricane wasn going to blow this building down...

but I wanted to make sure the car didnt get hit by a tree of become subject to flooding due to the elevation at sea level, so I took it to a garage inland. My coworker thought I was nuts. cheers! mike
Old 09-06-2004, 07:59 PM

Default I put my car on the dealers lift

j/k, we have had about 1 inch of rain in the past 3 months.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

LOL...you guys are stuck facing earthquakes. That has to be no fun.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:09 PM

We dont have earthquakes here, just mexicans, heat, & cactii
Old 09-07-2004, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default What I can't figure out is, all those people waiting in line at Home Depot....

I mean, if you live in Florida, and know that hurricanes come through, wouldn't you have plywood for the windows already pre-cut and stored at your house?